71-73 Mustang Console Clock Restoration question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loche451

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 Q-Code
I decided to clean up my console clock for my wife's 72 Mach 1 Q Code...After just a few minutes of degreasing and light cleaning with a swab, all of the movement started right back up. I put a very small amount of new oil on the movement parts and installed new points for the electrical connection (as I understand it, a very common problem with these clocks is that if the battery goes too low or loses a charge, it will destroy the points and stop the clock...so I also added a 1amp inline fuse for the hot)

Plugged her back in for a test and thought this was a simple 1 hour job...how lucky am I?

And- the clock didnt power up correctly. Upon closer examination...there are 2 coils in the clock that are wired to the positive plug lead with a very fine copper filament wire. That wire is soldered directly to the positive lead but for my clock, is then broken and I cannot tell where to replace/resolder it to. Does anyone have a picture of how their clock's coils are wired to the plug so I can restore my connection correctly and have a working console clock again?

Thanks!

Don't forget to check the points and file, just like a dizzy, if needed.

I was testing a clock one day and smelled smoke, the points stuck together

and fried the coils.  A friend did an electronic rebuild on my clock so the coils

are fired by a capacitor bank, no direct connection to the battery.  The schematics

and explanation are on here Somewhere.

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this using the advanced search forum.I hope the link works. Goodnigh, it has your posting to the link for the capacitor bank schematic you mentioned.

To bad your buddy has no interest in making these for those us who are willing to pay him for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam is not interested in repairing/modifying the clocks.

He is a laser guy.  He did release the schematic to the

public domain.  Don't have a picture of the gadget with clock,

but not difficult to make.  A local electronics club or radio club

or even the high school would be no challenge.

mike

Wow, I'd forgotten about that thread. Interesting to re-read it. Glad you found it, so hope you can find the info you need. It may need to be updated by now, but the basics are there.

I decided to clean up my console clock for my wife's 72 Mach 1 Q Code...After just a few minutes of degreasing and light cleaning with a swab, all of the movement started right back up. I put a very small amount of new oil on the movement parts and installed new points for the electrical connection (as I understand it, a very common problem with these clocks is that if the battery goes too low or loses a charge, it will destroy the points and stop the clock...so I also added a 1amp inline fuse for the hot)

Plugged her back in for a test and thought this was a simple 1 hour job...how lucky am I?

And- the clock didnt power up correctly. Upon closer examination...there are 2 coils in the clock that are wired to the positive plug lead with a very fine copper filament wire. That wire is soldered directly to the positive lead but for my clock, is then broken and I cannot tell where to replace/resolder it to. Does anyone have a picture of how their clock's coils are wired to the plug so I can restore my connection correctly and have a working console clock again?

Thanks!
I just did this exact repair tonight! Wired the positive lead right up! See my post I’ll try and add pics to this reply 

2538C773-5286-4BED-9062-880FE7C2D189.jpeg

B010C4DF-83D7-4246-94B0-D75A323AF656.png

A8E23F72-BCE2-4F7C-A196-9A83A732A701.jpeg

Hi All,

I’m also trying to do some maintenance on my console clock, but the damn chrome knob will not come off. I’ve tried holding it with pliers and twisting, but that doesn’t seem to do anything. Has anyone else figured this out?

Pretty sure it screws on.  The one I am messing with does. Try a dab od PB blaster or aerokroil and give it a go after letting it sit for at least 15 mins?

16217049900103274456429991558823.jpg

Bah HUMBUG, I sent mine in to the Rocketman, Bob 
All of my clocks are the ones Rocketman no longer messes with. I am going to have to accept they are dead OR try to fix them myself 

Back