reworking the rusty Cowl

Started to rework the cowl area and thought I would share some pictures. Like most folks its hard to make that first Cut.......Yicks. But then confidence builds and you feel the progress of your endeavors.

Lucky one half of the cowl was ok, just needed some por-15. When you have the area exposed use a rust preventor such as por-15, the car will thank you.crowl-10.jpg

crowl-9.jpg

crowl-8.jpg

crowl-7.jpg

crowl-6.jpg

crowl-5.jpg

crowl-4.jpg

crowl-3.jpg

cowl-2.jpg

cowl.jpg

• Like 2

Do they sell a patch piece for these cars? I thought you had to buy the whole cowl upper and lower?

Good question!. No not that im aware of. I purchased this from a donar car out of a salvage yard. I wanted to make sure the fit was correct. Thats all a person needs is to get in this deep and have fit problems.

No  Mustang Salvage  yards in the UK  that I'm aware of  :-/  

Anyone have a link to Mustang Salvage yards in the USA? Out of interest, how much did they charge you for the cut out piece? Did you cut it out yourself?

Thanks for posting this info up, very helpful  :goodpost:

What type of welder did you use to put the panels together?

Do they sell a patch piece for these cars? I thought you had to buy the whole cowl upper and lower?

Good question!. No not that im aware of. I purchased this from a donar car out of a salvage yard. I wanted to make sure the fit was correct. Thats all a person needs is to get in this deep and have fit problems.

Nice Job! ::thumb::

I had to do the same thing to mine, since the repop cowl pieces weren't available when I did mine.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

No  Mustang Salvage  yards in the UK  that I'm aware of  :-/  

Anyone have a link to Mustang Salvage yards in the USA?  Out of interest, how much did they charge you for the cut out piece?  Did you cut it out yourself?

Thanks for posting this info up, very helpful  :goodpost:

What type of welder did you use to put the panels together?

The cut section of cowl was 100.00 plus shipping of 60.00. Still much cheaper than a re-man cowl. The welder is a Mig with gas. They work well but if you happen to have a tig? it does a cleaner much more impressive looking weld.

Try Colorado mustang in Colorado. That is where I got mine. Sometimes its hard to get anyone to destroy there mustang for your cowl piece.

Excellent!!!!

I did think of doing that as well. But my son in law talked me out of it. Probably looking to receive the car in the inheritance :-) My car doesn't have air so venting was important to him. Not so much for me.

Nice work!

Thanks Mike!I almost have the engine bay done and the motor is rebuilt. The headers you made me such a good deal on are repaired and ready for the install.

Thank you for your help!!! your a good man Charlie brown :-)

Rod

Nice work!

Thanks Mike!I almost have the engine bay done and the motor is rebuilt. The headers you made me such a good deal on are repaired and ready for the install.

Thank you for your help!!! your a good man Charlie brown :-)

Rod

Your welcome Rod Thanks for the kind words.

- Mike

• 1 month later...

Well I just don't have the budget to do what you did, but today I took the plunge to cut out the rusty collar on my AC Lower Cowl, 

I marked out where I wanted to cut and then proceeded to drill lots of holes eventually cutting through the holes to remove the rusty section.

Its Bad but nowhere near as bad as what many of you have posted.

49809807282_fed9d14b36_c.jpgIMG_20200423_110311 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

49808952978_8c8dda5a3b_c.jpgIMG_20200423_110356 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

49809506726_bcd9fdbe7d_c.jpgIMG_20200423_112242 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

Finally got the bad collar out

49809505696_80a63cace6_c.jpgIMG_20200423_125810 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

49808952603_a16c4a61ac_c.jpgIMG_20200423_125703 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

49809806592_20eaac0a33_c.jpgIMG_20200423_125718 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

The good news is the drain hole was not blocked and the rest of the cowl looks in fair shape!

49809805467_ffea1f42c7_c.jpgIMG_20200423_125944 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

You did a great job on that repair. Amazing to find one that good in junk yard. 

Saw the note from the member in the UK. Yes there are lots of Mustang junk yards in the U.S.. You can usually sell a mustang for parts for more than the whole car. One here in North Carolina will not sell you a whole car only parts.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, stax359 said:

Thanks. I'm already friends with Scotty. He's a great guy !!!   Thought there was one out your way. 

If Scotty doesn't have one? This is from my original starting post. 

Try Colorado mustang in Colorado. That is where I got mine. Sometimes its hard to get anyone to destroy there mustang for your cowl piece

Based on how the top cover of the cowl was sectioned and the car being white—I had to look at the photos several times—i thought it was mine!  That is the exact method of sectioning I did to pull the top cover.  Nice job!

Edited by 69 Rustang

spacer.png
1931 Ford Model A Station Wagon
1969 Mach 1 - 351C, TKO-600, 4WDB, R&P, A/C, Shaker, Fold Down, etc.
1972 Mach 1 - 351C, FMX, PDB, PS, A/C, Fold Down, Console
1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible - 10psi Procharger, 436rwhp