Hydraulic Lifter Adjustments

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

I'm getting ready to adjust my valves and was surfing the internet and came across the following question. Wanted to see what the census is on the site about where to set the intake when adjusting the exhaust valve.  Below is the original question.

Question: I want to double check my adjustment method (especially since there seems to be a lot of variation regarding when to actually stop rotating the engine to adjust the exhaust valve).

When adjusting the Exhaust Valve, after the Intake reaches full open and then starts closing how much more rotation should there be before the exhaust valve adjustment is done.

Meaning does it matter if the intake valve is "halfway closed", "just starting to close" or does it need to be "almost fully closed" before the exhaust valve is adjusted? Reading about this on line - it seems some adjust the exhaust right after intake starts to close, and others says to wait until intake is almost fully closed.

Also, what is the amount of lash that everyone is setting for hydraulic lifters.  My engine is a 460 with a aftermarket cam with roller rockers.   Don't know the specs on the cam but it is radical.  Only pulling 6 inches of vacuum.  My brother had the engine built and unfortunately didn't have any of the specs written down when he passed away.  

I know many moons ago the old school of thought was for engines built for racing would only use about 1/8 to 1/4 turn.  For street and stock use 1/2 to 1 turn max.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the intake fully open when setting the exhaust, and exhaust fully open when setting the intake. If you have a camshaft with a lot of overlap the valve being adjusted may not be fully closed if the other valve is partially closed. One full turn is too much preload, I use 1/4 to 1/2 turn preload.

The best way is to use the method in the shop manual, in post #17 of this thread

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-adjusting-rockers

I use the intake fully open when setting the exhaust, and exhaust fully open when setting the intake. If you have a camshaft with a lot of overlap the valve being adjusted may not be fully closed if the other valve is partially closed. One full turn is too much preload, I use 1/4 to 1/2 turn preload.

The best way is to use the method in the shop manual, in post #17 of this thread

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-adjusting-rockers
Thanks for the info.  Already have the manual but don't have the push down tool. Without knowing the cam specs I don't want to do tdc. 

Used to always adjust with the engine running using oil deflector clips. Had an homemade adjustable shield that acted like a valve cover to keep the oil from running over the bottom edge of the head. Was quick and never had an issue.

I just turn the crankshaft to the correct degrees for the piston and valve and tighten the adjuster nut while turning the push rod with my fingers until I feel zero lash then another 1/2 turn on the nut. A degree tape on the balancer, or pulling the balancer and marking every 90° on the balancer really helps.

Back