• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Louvers. Metal. Full Length

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
Yup. I want the full length ones that your trunk lid will hit when you open it. No plastic, and no shortys. Yes, I know these can be expensive due to rarity. Willing to wait and pay nicely for the right ones. Thanks!

I figured I'd be fishing for a while! LOL
If it helps you are looking for the old Hammond brand
Yup. The old Hammonds. The new ones seem decent, but I don't like the short length. I wish they would have kept the bottom louver and just made it flatter/shallower. If someone started making them like that again, they would have good demand for them I'm sure.

I have an original set... minus the rear brackets (guess I lost them in moves...). Have had them in storage for year’s. Haven’t owned a fastback since 2010. Just not sure yet what I want to do with them... Didn’t realize they have become hard to come by. Maybe, a fastback in my future :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
In your opinion............what is the closestafter market rear louver? Quality and close to oem counts.

Thanks

I have an original set... minus the rear brackets (guess I lost them in moves...). Have had them in storage for year’s. Haven’t owned a fastback since 2010. Just not sure yet what I want to do with them... Didn’t realize they have become hard to come by. Maybe, a fastback in my future :huh:
If you decide to sell them just PM me a number. Thanks!

In your opinion............what is the closestafter market rear louver? Quality and close to oem counts.

Thanks
There was NO OEM for 71-3

EDIT ... to be clear there were no factory louvers, dealers may have installed something.

In your opinion............what is the closest after market rear louver? Quality and close to oem counts.

Thanks
That I did not know! So you could not order a rear louver from the dealer as a add-on? you could order privately a Hammond from a retailer?. What is the best after market louver for a 71 fastback?

In your opinion............what is the closest after market rear louver? Quality and close to oem counts.

Thanks
That I did not know! So you could not order a rear louver from the dealer as a add-on? you could order privately a Hammond from a retailer?. What is the best after market louver for a 71 fastback?

Then, like now, dealers would do anything to make a buck. Louvers, vinyl tops and stripe packages were popular dealer-level add-ons. Ford also had a slew of RPO items that were also available at the dealer level, such as sport mirrors, tires and other profit enhancing goodies.

The rear window louvers are a subject that appears occasionally.  I know over the years as these cars changed hands, the list of what came on "Her" from the factory became a little fuzzier.

As Don stated there was never a production installed or Ford accessory rear window louver offered for the 71-73 Mustang. Of all the first-generation Mustangs only the '69 (Boss 302 only) and '70 (all sport roofs) offered the rear louvers as production installed.

The only other Ford OE offering was for the 70-71 Torino Sports Roof.

And of course, accessory sales were a huge profit maker for the dealers. Wheel and tire packages, spoilers, one of those fancy new-fangled 8 Track tape players, all the look at me stuff!! In fact, if you wanted a toaster oven the salesman would probably reply "One or two-slice and color choice, Harvest Gold or Avocado"? (Remember...This was the 70's)   :whistling:

Yup. I want the full length ones that your trunk lid will hit when you open it. No plastic, and no shortys. Yes, I know these can be expensive due to rarity. Willing to wait and pay nicely for the right ones. Thanks!
here`s how they look 

Mac -- I've been trying to find catalogues and brochures from 1971 -- thank you for posting that  ::thumb::
You are welcome.  What do you have in the way of documents right now?  Give me some idea and I can compare with what I have and can scan/send you the items I have that you don't have.

here`s how they look 
Well these aren’t the old ones that go all the way down. Unless I’m missing something or not understanding. They are just the same as I have on my car below.

upload png

The original Hammond louvers had a flat section as the last "louver", to clear the trunk lid. The lid pivots up over the glass when opened, and most times would run into that flat section since they were never formed properly, or had bowed in the middle. The later versions omitted that section and are the style you have on your car.

Back