So I felt into the trap of while doing this I should do that. All started that I wanted to add power locks to my car. To add the wires through the door I needed to remove the doors to add the belows. Since I am removing the doors I may as well replace the hinges. Since I am removing the door panels may as well add speakers. I had old seals so I may as well replace the door and roof seals. Since I have to remove the quarter glass to replace the roof seal I may as well modify the quarter windows so they can be rolled. 

In any case, that's where I am stuck. I have all the winding mechanism and rails in. While replacing the quarter glass vertical seal and installing the glass, the moulding came off. Now I have the glass in place but I can't get the moulding in. The plastic insert in the moulding's groove is braking and not letting me wedge the glass into it (see picture). Every time I remove the broken pieces and try again, more breaks. What are my options? Get new moulding? Do they sell the plastic insert or can I make something up? It doesn't need to be concours. Thank you.

20200310-130011.jpg

20200310-130001.jpg

Insert in moulding's groove is braking off:

20200310-130033.jpg

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony if I remember correctly it is called setting rubber

I don't think it is available for our cars but it is for early corvettes

Sorry it have been a long time since I needed any 

Just thinking... actually NPD may have it or they had it

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

http://www.7173mustangs.com/images/oms_sig_banner.jpg

LOL, The snowball affect took over again. BTW I bet you could use new roof rail seals and polish the roof rails, lol. Just kidding. It is difficult to set a stopping place.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I got lucky, my trim pieces didn’t come off when I converted my 1/4 windows to roll down. Wish I could help you out. I don’t know how they attach to the window.

I was able to stop the while I’m at it....for now, lol. I still need to redo the roof rail seals too.

John - 72 Q Code

Don at OMS is correct. It is called setting rubber. If NPD doesn't have it do a web search for " glass setting rubber channel". Find the size closes to the channel width and glass thickness. DK Hardware has a wide selection.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Don at OMS is correct.  It is called setting rubber.  If NPD doesn't have it do a web search for " glass setting rubber channel".  Find the size closes to the channel width and glass thickness.  DK Hardware has a wide selection.

There are two items in NPD that may be what I am looking for, but I am not sure since the description is not clear to me. What are these for?

https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-strip-glass-channel-116-inch-tk-4/141849?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dquarter%252Bglass%252Bmoulding%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971

https://www.npdlink.com/product/windlace-quarter-pillar-black/151821?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dquarter%252Bglass%252Bmoulding%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

It is the 5.88 roll of 1/16th thick rubber

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

http://www.7173mustangs.com/images/oms_sig_banner.jpg

+1 - That will work for you.  Does the same job as the pre-molded rubber channel.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Thanks. Out of curiosity, where does the windlace go?

Answering my own question, I think the windlace is wedged on the vertical edge of the quarter trim along the door. Who knows why the "windlace" name.

20200311-124213-windlace.jpg

Is there any downside to just using a bead of silicone to set them in place?

Not sure, but maybe the silicone stays too soft. This stuff is some kind of rubber that sets hard. There may be other options like butyl tape but I can't say for sure if it would work.

Answering my own question, I think the windlace is wedged on the vertical edge of the quarter trim along the door. Who knows why the "windlace" name.

20200311-124213-windlace.jpg

Yes that’s what it is. Not sure why the name though.

John - 72 Q Code

Thank you for the link. I will tackle this tonight but with the glass in place.

Success.... all done. Thank you all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Some pictures here:

20200316-230309.jpg

20200316-230239.jpg

Was it pretty easy to do?

Do you mean the roll down quarter window conversion or getting the moulding onto the window?

For the roll down quarter window mod I followed this thread closely: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-1972-1973-mustang-fastback-wind-down-quarter-window-conversion-tutorial

All was relatively easy and needing a lot of patience. The areas where I hit a snag were:

-Installing the weatherstrip onto the window trim (not necessary for the mod, but may as well do since you have the window out). I bent one of these strips while installing it. So luckily I had two since I bought a second set after I forgot I had bought one a few years earlier. It is tricky to slide the weatherstrip on the trim. I suggest using window cleaner as a lube as suggested here: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-glass-install?highlight=quarter+window . Also, it is important to know how far to push the weatherstrip down so pay attention to the old one before removing it. The last suggestion is not to "push" the weatherstrip but rather pull it. To accomplish this I placed a flat screwdriver on the hole at the end of the tip of the strip. This picture shows the location of the hole that i used to push down on the strip so it "pulls" the rest of the strip down.

wsqw13l-2-2775.jpg

-Adjusting the window can take some time. It took a lot of tries. I was not able to get it perfect, but good enough. Too much backwards then the window has difficulty rolling up without dragging the roof weather strip. To far forward and there is a gap between the window and weatherstrip. You are also trying to keep the door glass parallel to the quarter glass so it takes a lot of fine tuning and compromising.

For the roll down quarter window mod I followed this thread closely: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-1972-1973-mustang-fastback-wind-down-quarter-window-conversion-tutorial

All was relatively easy and needing a lot of patience. The areas where I hit a snag were:

-Installing the weatherstrip onto the window trim (not necessary for the mod, but may as well do since you have the window out). I bent one of these strips while installing it. So luckily I had two since I bought a second set after I forgot I had bought one a few years earlier. It is tricky to slide the weatherstrip on the trim. I suggest using window cleaner as a lube as suggested here: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-glass-install?highlight=quarter+window . Also, it is important to know how far to push the weatherstrip down so pay attention to the old one before removing it. The last suggestion is not to "push" the weatherstrip but rather pull it. To accomplish this I placed a flat screwdriver on the hole at the end of the tip of the strip. This picture shows the location of the hole that i used to push down on the strip so it "pulls" the rest of the strip down.

wsqw13l-2-2775.jpg

-Adjusting the window can take some time. It took a lot of tries. I was not able to get it perfect, but good enough. Too much backwards then the window has difficulty rolling up without dragging the roof weather strip. To far forward and there is a gap between the window and weatherstrip. You are also trying to keep the door glass parallel to the quarter glass so it takes a lot of fine tuning and compromising.

Yes, sorry I meant the window trim. Thanks for the pics and the advice on how to do it.

I thought the hardest part to making the 1/4 roll down was adjusting them too. Many tries, but I was able to get mine to roll up and down pretty smooth.

John - 72 Q Code

wsqw13l-2-2775.jpg

Yes, sorry I meant the window trim. Thanks for the pics and the advice on how to do it.

I thought the hardest part to making the 1/4 roll down was adjusting them too. Many tries, but I was able to get mine to roll up and down pretty smooth.

Okay. The trim was surprisingly easy. I did it with the window mounted since I didn't want to redo the assembly. I also had the weatherstrip into the trim which made it a bit more tricky to hammer. If done in a work bench it would be much easier. You just have to tap lightly and progressively on each end of the trim until is all in. Follow this: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-glass-install?pid=253541#pid253541 and use NPD's strip (https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-strip-glass-channel-116-inch-tk-4/141849?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dquarter%252Bglass%252Bmoulding%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971).

wsqw13l-2-2775.jpg

Okay. The trim was surprisingly easy. I did it with the window mounted since I didn't want to redo the assembly. I also had the weatherstrip into the trim which made it a bit more tricky to hammer. If done in a work bench it would be much easier. You just have to tap lightly and progressively on each end of the trim until is all in. Follow this: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-glass-install?pid=253541#pid253541 and use NPD's strip (https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-strip-glass-channel-116-inch-tk-4/141849?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dquarter%252Bglass%252Bmoulding%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971).

Excellent, thanks again!

John - 72 Q Code