Quarter glass moulding help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
So I felt into the trap of while doing this I should do that. All started that I wanted to add power locks to my car. To add the wires through the door I needed to remove the doors to add the belows. Since I am removing the doors I may as well replace the hinges. Since I am removing the door panels may as well add speakers. I had old seals so I may as well replace the door and roof seals. Since I have to remove the quarter glass to replace the roof seal I may as well modify the quarter windows so they can be rolled. 

In any case, that's where I am stuck. I have all the winding mechanism and rails in. While replacing the quarter glass vertical seal and installing the glass, the moulding came off. Now I have the glass in place but I can't get the moulding in. The plastic insert in the moulding's groove is braking and not letting me wedge the glass into it (see picture). Every time I remove the broken pieces and try again, more breaks. What are my options? Get new moulding? Do they sell the plastic insert or can I make something up? It doesn't need to be concours. Thank you.

Insert in moulding's groove is braking off:

Tony if I remember correctly it is called setting rubber

I don't think it is available for our cars but it is for early corvettes

Sorry it have been a long time since I needed any 

Just thinking... actually NPD may have it or they had it

I got lucky, my trim pieces didn’t come off when I converted my 1/4 windows to roll down. Wish I could help you out. I don’t know how they attach to the window.

I was able to stop the while I’m at it....for now, lol. I still need to redo the roof rail seals too.

Don at OMS is correct. It is called setting rubber. If NPD doesn't have it do a web search for " glass setting rubber channel". Find the size closes to the channel width and glass thickness. DK Hardware has a wide selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don at OMS is correct.  It is called setting rubber.  If NPD doesn't have it do a web search for " glass setting rubber channel".  Find the size closes to the channel width and glass thickness.  DK Hardware has a wide selection.
There are two items in NPD that may be what I am looking for, but I am not sure since the description is not clear to me. What are these for?

https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-strip-glass-channel-116-inch-tk-4/141849?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dquarter%252Bglass%252Bmoulding%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971

https://www.npdlink.com/product/windlace-quarter-pillar-black/151821?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dquarter%252Bglass%252Bmoulding%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971

Is there any downside to just using a bead of silicone to set them in place?

Is there any downside to just using a bead of silicone to set them in place?
Not sure, but maybe the silicone stays too soft. This stuff is some kind of rubber that sets hard. There may be other options like butyl tape but I can't say for sure if it would work.

It is the 5.88 roll of 1/16th thick rubber
Thanks. Out of curiosity, where does the windlace go?
Answering my own question, I think the windlace is wedged on the vertical edge of the quarter trim along the door. Who knows why the "windlace" name.

Yes that’s what it is. Not sure why the name though.

Back