Clutch pedal removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
I'm trying to install my Malwood clutch pedal and was wondering if there is a easy way to get just the existing clutch pedal out. I can't even get the damn spring out! I'd rather not have to take the whole steering column out to get the whole assembly down. Suggestions please.

Two bolts hold the bracket for the overcenter spring. Remove one and twist the bracket to release the tension on the spring and remove it. Retainer clip is on the passenger side of the pedal hanger.

Personally, to have room to work I'd pull the column and seat.

Two bolts hold the bracket for the overcenter spring. Remove one and twist the bracket to release the tension on the spring and remove it. Retainer clip is on the passenger side of the pedal hanger.

Personally, to have room to work I'd pull the column and seat.

Thanks for the reply. The seat is already out so I'm able to lay down. Is there a nut on the other side of those two bolts for the spring or is it just the frame? I already pulled the retainer clip so once the spring is removed is it just a matter of tapping it out?

I just took my pedal set out last weekend and yes its much easier if you remove the steering column. There are two 5/16" bolts with 1/2" heads and nuts holding the assist spring retaining bracket to the assembly. I just added the "Mustang Steve" roller bearings to the clutch rod while I was in there for easier operation.

Thanks, Jay

I just took my pedal set out last weekend and yes its much easier if you remove the steering column. There are two 5/16"  bolts with 1/2" heads and nuts holding the assist spring retaining bracket to the assembly. I just added the "Mustang Steve" roller bearings to the clutch rod while I was in there for easier operation.

Thanks, Jay
Yeah I would say if there are nuts behind that bracket then I would say it's impossible without removing the column. I guess cutting the spring is an option since I no longer need it. So after removing that retaining clip does it just tap out?

If you remove the four attaching bolts for the column, it will drop down enough for you to access the two nuts to remove the spring bracket. Remove one bolt completely and loosen the other and rotate until spring tension loosens and remove. Be careful of the spring !!!

Thanks, Jay

Back