Borgeson Conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy Metal

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
302 C4
[url=https://ibb.co/mVhg5o][img]https://preview.ibb.co/eJbkWT/Lot.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://ibb.co/mVhg5o][img]https://preview.ibb.co/eJbkWT/Lot.jpg[/img][/url]
Hello 7173ers,

I'm still in power steering hell.  My Borgeson conversion is still ongoing.

My high pressure line is loose the the gear box fitting.  The high pressre inlet measures 11/16 ID.

After talking to Borgeson Tech, they don't make a kit for

stock ford mustang steering boxes 71-73.  There hose fitting are 16mm x 1.5 thread pitch.

So has anyone found the "magic fitting" or tell me what the fitting sizes are in the OEM steering gear box ???

Thanks again for all your help !!!

Heavy Metal

I want to say the stock box is inverted flare.

11/16-18 & 5/8-18 - I think...

I can check this weekend.

I made my own hoses out of Aeroquip FCG0606 hose, -AN adapters and some fittings.  You could do the same, metric steering box -AN fittings can be had easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1, any shop that makes up hydraulic hoses can convert your hoses to the sizes needed on the Borgeson box, or make up new hoses.

Have you figured out the steering column to steering box connection (rag joint or u-joint)?

+1, any shop that makes up hydraulic hoses can convert your hoses to the sizes needed on the Borgeson box, or make up new hoses.

Have you figured out the steering column to steering box connection (rag joint or u-joint)?
Thank you for the response.

The new gear box from Rock Auto bolted right in, and came with a beefy hard rubber joint, vs the factory rag joint.

I'm happy with my purchase from Rock Auto so far.... we will see how the core credit works out.

I'm headed to a custom Hydraulics place today to get the line fittings figured out, and I'll share my

finding with ya'll.

Thanks again,

HVY MTL

Hello 7173ers,

I'm still in power steering hell.  My Borgeson conversion is still ongoing.

My high pressure line is loose the the gear box fitting.  The high pressre inlet measures 11/16 ID.

After talking to Borgeson Tech, they don't make a kit for

stock ford mustang steering boxes 71-73.  There hose fitting are 16mm x 1.5 thread pitch.

So has anyone found the "magic fitting" or tell me what the fitting sizes are in the OEM steering gear box ???

Thanks again for all your help !!!

Heavy Metal
 This is what I used on my wifes car but we also had custom lines made for a billet specialties tru track kit

Steering Box Adapters 16MM X 1.5 to -6AN

[align=left]

[/align]

[align=center]
https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/image.php?type=P&id=1650[/img]

Detailed Image[/align]

P/S Hose adapter set 16MM X 1.5 to -6AN for Mustang power conversion box. Converts steering box 16MM inverted flare fittings to a -6AN for custom hose applications. Sold as a pair.

Part #

Weight

0.50 lbs

I thought I would wrap up this post.

I did find the "Magic Fitting" on Amazon of all places.

The steering box high pressure inlet is 11/16" x 16 thread pitch SAE straight, ….no taper …..with a inverted flange.

So the other end is male fitting is AN6 ….which is very common.  I took my line to a shop and had a AN6 female put on the end of the tube.

This worked great......no leaks....no issues.

I hope this helps the community when your working on your steering gear box or new lines.

HVY MTL

I'm not asking this to step on any toes, I am genuinely curious. Why go through all the trouble to change out the power steering components in our cars? My aftermarket pump was cheap and works well, the replacement lines are working well, and my rebuilt steering box works great!! My power steering is almost too good. I don't see the advantage in swapping it out. I would like to hear why you guys do this. Thanks!!

I'm not asking this to step on any toes, I am genuinely curious. Why go through all the trouble to change out the power steering components in our cars? My aftermarket pump was cheap and works well, the replacement lines are working well, and my rebuilt steering box works great!! My power steering is almost too good. I don't see the advantage in swapping it out. I would like to hear why you guys do this. Thanks!!
To quote you...

”My power steering is almost too good”

That is why people like myself tinker with the power steering.  If you hop in a 1970’s-1980’s American car with power steering you could easily turn it with an arthritic pinky finger.  Very little feedback or feel.  A very “over assisted” feel.  Plus if you like to go do autocross or spirited driving with a 4 turns lock to lock stock “SPA-S” box your hands are going to move that steering wheel ALOT.  Going to a 12.7:1 box and using a larger torsion / t-bar in the input of the box reduces the lock to lock turns, and gives it feel, feedback etc.  Basically improves driver input to the car, and the cars feedback to the driver.  In my opinion it makes the car safer when pushed to the limit.

Back