1972 Grande rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Grande, 351W, EFI, AFR heads, TKX 5spd, 9" rear, ram air
Hello all.  Just wanted to introduce myself.  I am kind of new of forums so please bare with me.  My project is a 1972 Mustang Grande.  I bought it in 2016 as a long term project car.  It was a daily driver when I bought it from the seller.  My intent is to rebuild it into a reliable daily driver.  Something that looks cool on the outside, has lots of power under the hood, and will start every time.  Although the engine and transmission seemed really good in terms of power/performance, the rest of the car needed some work.  So I took the car completely apart.  It now sits on a home made car dolley (4"x6" and 4"x4" lumber and industrial casters - found instructions on internet - it works very nicely) with the engine/trans and rear 9" axle in the corner of garage.  The doors and front fenders are in decent shape.  Just some minor rust removal/patching to do.  I started at the rear of the stang (new trunk floor, lower quarter panels, rear panel, rebuilding the trunk opening rain gutter (total pain in the butt), etc.  Next cleaned up the rear seat area with minor rust holes, etc.  Then cut out the floor pans on driver and passenger sides.  Built and installed a subframe connector from drawings found on the internet using 2" X 2" steel tubing.  The new floor pans are fitted and ready to be installed.  I will weld those in place after I replace the front aprons/shock towers.  I then removed the upper and lower cowl and the front aprons (both sides - were very badly rusted).  I considered patching but decided it was more effective to just replace both aprons (would require a ton of fabrication which I do not have the equipment for).  So as of today, lower cowl is mostly spot welded in place, and both aprons have been test fitted for spot welding.

I look forward to sharing my journey and getting ideas/suggestions from you all.

Hello and Welcome from The Peoples Republic of California!

You have come to the right place for help with your restoration.

Bru

Welcome from Illinois! As said above - we like pics!

I have about 800 pics and I will post pics of highlights regarding the work I have completed to date. I am new to the forum world and I need to figure out how to post these pics. Which is the best way to post these photos? Thank you.

On posting pics. There should be a black box below where you put your text in that says "ADD IMAGE TO POST"

A window should pop up and give you the choice drag or drop images. I just click the option browse from your computer. You can click several and they will appear in the window that came up. Click the Upload button and they should be added to your post.

Welcome from Sweden.

nice with Another Grande, looking forward to pictures

On posting pics. There should be a black box below where you put your text in that says "ADD IMAGE TO POST"

A window should pop up and give you the choice drag or drop images. I just click the option browse from your computer. You can click several and they will appear in the window that came up. Click the Upload button and they should be added to your post.
David - thank you.

Since I am three years into this build, here are the highlights. This is pic of when I brought the 72 Stang home. I am in Maryland so I could not drive it from the seller. He had to keep the plate and I have to get the vehicle registered. So I trailered it home.

Interior - not good. 

Closer up does not make it better.  :-(

Trunk is very rusted.

Front is very bad too.

I think most folks would have looked at this Mustang and just walked by.  Too much work and way too much rust.  But for me this was two things.  A chance to rebuild a car from ground up and a long term hobby. I have a permanent disability and this long term project helps me focus.

Pic of car completely disassembled and work started on trunk, tail panel, and rear quarter panels. 

Quarter panel test fitted.

Trunk floor test fitted.  I also boxed in the subframe below the trunk floor to strengthen the body.

Working the trunk rain gutter area.  This was a total pain! 

Trunk, tail panel, floor, quarter panels about 90% done. 

Adding subframe.  Saw this drawing/design online. 

Completed subframe (1 of 2)

Subframes welded on.

host photos online

Back