1972 Grande rebuild

Hello all.  Just wanted to introduce myself.  I am kind of new of forums so please bare with me.  My project is a 1972 Mustang Grande.  I bought it in 2016 as a long term project car.  It was a daily driver when I bought it from the seller.  My intent is to rebuild it into a reliable daily driver.  Something that looks cool on the outside, has lots of power under the hood, and will start every time.  Although the engine and transmission seemed really good in terms of power/performance, the rest of the car needed some work.  So I took the car completely apart.  It now sits on a home made car dolley (4"x6" and 4"x4" lumber and industrial casters - found instructions on internet - it works very nicely) with the engine/trans and rear 9" axle in the corner of garage.  The doors and front fenders are in decent shape.  Just some minor rust removal/patching to do.  I started at the rear of the stang (new trunk floor, lower quarter panels, rear panel, rebuilding the trunk opening rain gutter (total pain in the butt), etc.  Next cleaned up the rear seat area with minor rust holes, etc.  Then cut out the floor pans on driver and passenger sides.  Built and installed a subframe connector from drawings found on the internet using 2" X 2" steel tubing.  The new floor pans are fitted and ready to be installed.  I will weld those in place after I replace the front aprons/shock towers.  I then removed the upper and lower cowl and the front aprons (both sides - were very badly rusted).  I considered patching but decided it was more effective to just replace both aprons (would require a ton of fabrication which I do not have the equipment for).  So as of today, lower cowl is mostly spot welded in place, and both aprons have been test fitted for spot welding.

I look forward to sharing my journey and getting ideas/suggestions from you all.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you can see, body work is what I am doing now. Its very time consuming. But I enjoy working with metal. You can make a mistake and go back and fix it without buying a new part (unlike newer cars

Posted Images

Welcome! You know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words? We like photos :)

Hello and Welcome from The Peoples Republic of California!

You have come to the right place for help with your restoration.

Bru

Welcome from Iowa.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Welcome from Oklahoma. Post up some pics, please.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

• 1 month later...

I have about 800 pics and I will post pics of highlights regarding the work I have completed to date. I am new to the forum world and I need to figure out how to post these pics. Which is the best way to post these photos? Thank you.

On posting pics. There should be a black box below where you put your text in that says "ADD IMAGE TO POST"

A window should pop up and give you the choice drag or drop images. I just click the option browse from your computer. You can click several and they will appear in the window that came up. Click the Upload button and they should be added to your post.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

On posting pics. There should be a black box below where you put your text in that says "ADD IMAGE TO POST"

A window should pop up and give you the choice drag or drop images. I just click the option browse from your computer. You can click several and they will appear in the window that came up. Click the Upload button and they should be added to your post.

David - thank you.

20160923-003-small.jpg

Since I am three years into this build, here are the highlights. This is pic of when I brought the 72 Stang home. I am in Maryland so I could not drive it from the seller. He had to keep the plate and I have to get the vehicle registered. So I trailered it home.

2-Interior-1-bad.jpg

Interior - not good. 

3-Interior-2-bad.jpg

Closer up does not make it better.  :-(

4-Trunk-bad.jpg

Trunk is very rusted.

4a-front-bad.jpg

Front is very bad too.

I think most folks would have looked at this Mustang and just walked by.  Too much work and way too much rust.  But for me this was two things.  A chance to rebuild a car from ground up and a long term hobby. I have a permanent disability and this long term project helps me focus.

5-Before-q-panel-floor-etc.jpg

Pic of car completely disassembled and work started on trunk, tail panel, and rear quarter panels. 

6-quarter-panel-working.jpg

Quarter panel test fitted.

7-Trunk-floor-working.jpg

Trunk floor test fitted.  I also boxed in the subframe below the trunk floor to strengthen the body.

8-Trunk-gutter-working.jpg

Working the trunk rain gutter area.  This was a total pain! 

10-Trunk-and-panels-on.jpg

Trunk, tail panel, floor, quarter panels about 90% done. 

11a-Subframe.jpg

Adding subframe.  Saw this drawing/design online. 

11b-subframe-actual.jpg

Completed subframe (1 of 2)

12-subframe-completed.jpg

Subframes welded on.

host photos online

13-Front-off-and-cowl-removal.jpg

Next I removed the front aprons and cowl.  Both were badly rusted. 

15-Front.jpg

Front aprons/shock towers and cowl on. 

16-Driver-floor-pan-on.jpg

Driver side floor pan done.

17-axle-housing-cleaned.jpg

Due to COVID-19 isolation rules and me running out of shielding gas, I took a break from body work and cleanup the axle housing, ordered 3.50 gears, positrac, etc for the axle rebuild.  Gear was a 2.70 on an FMX auto - I plan to put in a T5 Tremec (most likely the TKO500) and the OD ratio is good with the 3.50 rear end (for nice highway driving). 

18-upper-engine-clean.jpg

The car had a 351W.  From the plate glued on the block, this is a 1972 remanufactured engine from Richmond VA.  It has the D0oE-C heads which from what I read is a good stock head.  It just needs to be cleaned up.  Intake is an edelbrock 351W performer.  From the research I have been doing, I think I will save for an edelbrock pro-flo 4 fuel injection kit.  Any thoughts on that?  Pic is the cylinders cleaned up.  This cylinders were already bored .060 over (.060 stamped on the pistons) so no further boring will occur (from what I have read). 

19-Break.jpg

It has been a while so I decided to put the doors, fenders, hood (just layed on) to get a feel for what it would look like.  This was motivating.  It kind of resparked my energy to get this rebuild done.

Please send any thoughts or comments from what you have seen so far?  Once I get some more shielding gas, I will finish the passenger floor board, tighten up any other spots that need welding, add rust inhibitor, and then seam sealer.  Then maybe a coat of primer.  From there the fun begins - suspension, brakes, fuel, and electrical

Looking great. Lots of work done on this car. You will like the 5 speed with OD. One of the best upgrades I did. I had the 2.75 open with FMX and went with 3.70 traclok and a T5. great on the highway and plenty off the line if I can get traction. :)

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

Thank you all for the welcome and comments. 73Pony - beautiful car. Seeing your ride gets me more excited about getting mine done.

Thank you all for the welcome and comments.  73Pony - beautiful car.  Seeing your ride gets me more excited about getting mine done.

Thanks. The paint and body work on the car is not great. Previous owner painted it in his dusty garage. :) This winter I will likely be stripping it down for a new paint job. The car is rust free just some dings that weren't fixed etc before he resprayed it and he didn't paint the jams or any other non visible part from the outside, the original color was Medium Metallic Brown, so looks a little odd when you open the doors, hood, or trunk.

- Jason