Let the be heat....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop

Well, that was a PIA... But, nice to finally have a garage with heat... It only took 41 year’s... LOL

Those are nice heaters, a friend has one in his garage and it's always @ 60° in the winter for minimal cost.
I like it. It’s quieter then I imagined and or heard about. The cost is reasonable and because I bought it at the end of the season, it was on sale, $250 off. Also, as I required a horizontal vent, I had to go Cat III, stainless steel (Local Gas Code) and the matching vent kit for this unit was almost as much as the heater... But, I got it on sale too. Had a gas fitter do the final hook up and pressure testing and it had my garage to 68 degrees in no time. A good investment in the car hobby for those of us in cold winter climates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are nice heaters, a friend has one in his garage and it's always @ 60° in the winter for minimal cost.
I like it. It’s quieter then I imagined and or heard about. The cost is reasonable and because I bought it at the end of the season, it was on sale, $250 off. Also, as I required a horizontal vent, I had to go Cat III, stainless steel (Local Gas Code) and the matching vent kit for this unit was almost as much as the heater... But, I got it on sale too. Had a gas fitter do the final hook up and pressure testing and it had my garage to 68 degrees in no time. A good investment in the car hobby for those of us in cold winter climates.
just wondering are your outer garage walls and ceiling insulated?  Also, are you leaving it run all the time or just when you are working out there?

just wondering are your outer garage walls and ceiling insulated?  Also, are you leaving it run all the time or just when you are working out there?
Yes. Fully insulated including the garage door. It is a new home that we took possession of last November but have not yet moved into. Gave me time to completely set up my garage and do other work in the house first. I will only run it when I am in there. I prepare my car’s for winter storage, the cold doesn’t bother them, if I’m not in there. But now, I have the option to work on them in warmth, which will be nice.

Depending on what walls touch , interior walls and assuming the attic air seal with good....you may find that keeping the space at a constant 45 degrees and "turning up to a workable 60" is better for the HOUSE energy costs (90% of the time) and the garage heater costs to NOT have to overcome lower temps!

Another reason for NOT heating in winter is to prevent ice dams.....you will see IF the soffits are vented properly the earliest snow next year, watching the "heat loss patter" above the garage. Just guessing but "do you even have gutters!" I know up north MI they eliminate them for this reason !

Mark

Seeing you are in Canada , I'm sure you have colder/longer periods so it really comes down to a comparison of cost. My wife keep asking "what is it costing to heat 3 garages?" and I say NO MORE then your cost difference to buy VEGAN food!

Yes. Fully insulated including the garage door. It is a new home that we took possession of last November but have not yet moved into. Gave me time to completely set up my garage and do other work in the house first. I will only run it when I am in there. I prepare my car’s for winter storage, the cold doesn’t bother them, if I’m not in there. But now, I have the option to work on them in warmth, which will be nice.
Just curious, what "R" value insulation did you use in your walls and in the ceiling?

Depending on what walls touch , interior walls and assuming the attic air seal with good....you may find that keeping the space at a constant 45 degrees and "turning up to a workable 60" is better for the HOUSE energy costs (90% of the time) and the garage heater costs to NOT have to overcome lower temps!

Another reason for NOT heating in winter is to prevent ice dams.....you will see IF the soffits are vented properly the earliest snow next year, watching the "heat loss patter" above the garage.    Just guessing but "do you even have gutters!"    I know up north MI they eliminate them for this reason !

Mark

Seeing you are in Canada , I'm sure you have colder/longer periods so it really comes down to a comparison of cost.  My wife keep asking "what is it costing to heat 3 garages?"  and I say NO MORE then your cost difference to buy VEGAN food!
I have a bedroom over the garage that is foam spray insulated between the garage and bedroom floor. Only one wall faces the outside (plus the garage door). No soffit issues... I understand the possibilities, pro’s/con’s of running the heater at a lower temp during the winter. But, I installed only to have heat if I want to work in there during the winter. As I get older, the cold affects my ability to stay out longer then when I was younger... This garage will not take long to heat up and is well insulated.

Yes, I have always had eavestroughs on all my houses... Cost of heating? Should be reasonable.

Another reason for NOT heating in winter is to prevent ice dams.....you will see IF the soffits are vented properly the earliest snow next year, watching the "heat loss patter" above the garage.    Just guessing but "do you even have gutters!"    I know up north MI they eliminate them for this reason !

Mark

Seeing you are in Canada , I'm sure you have colder/longer periods so it really comes down to a comparison of cost.  My wife keep asking "what is it costing to heat 3 garages?"  and I say NO MORE then your cost difference to buy VEGAN food!
You are absolutely correct about ice dams.  Had an issue with them over a portion of my work area next to my garage bays as the sun never really hit that portion of my roof.  Had a commerical company install air baffles & ceiling insulation.  No help.  Went on line to learn about ice dams.  Reevaluated and attacked the problem myself.  It took me 2 months working by myself, but I removed the ceilling insulation blankets and then the plastic baffles.  Next I build a complete air channel between each ceiling joist.  Using 1" thick foil one sided styrofoam I cut 2"high by 4' long strips and nailed one to each side of the joists next to the roof, then I cut a "lid" same width as between each joist 4' long and pinned/glued this lid on top of the 2" high side strips to form a complete air channed from my gutter soffits to the roof peak that is vented.  Next I chalked all the seams and reinstalled the ceiling insulation over top of these new air channels.  Really pleased as this winter when it snowed, the snow now laid evenly across my roof.  NO ICE DAMS!

Looking good now to just drill a natural gas well in your back yard. 

It was a very mild winter here in NC. We only had a couple 2" snows that were gone the next day. The ground never really froze first time I have ever seen. It never got below 45 deg. in my 4,000 sq. ft. garage with one hot oil electric heater of 1,800 watts not on high. 

I did build a seperate work room that is very easy to heat. The garage has 6" of fiberglass, foam filled doors and dual glazed gas filled insulated windows. 

I built the work room inside the garage. it has 6" walls with staggered studs so the inside walls do not connect to the outside walls. The ceiling is 2" X 12" with 12" of fiberglass in there also. 1/2" drywall. I also put a 45 deg. angle around the inside to mount work lights and to get rid of the dead air space. I think body heat would heat it, lol. 

I had bought a gas heater and have never put it in for four years not never has really got cold. 

I am probably going to put a very small window unit heat pump in the work room so I can also cool in the summer. 

Just a hint. My guy that erected my building gave me all the cut outs from doors window and such and there was also a couple extra rolls. He said if I needed more he would give more to me. He has to pay to put in the dump there is always lots of scraps and extra. If you are wanting to insulate your work area check with someone that erects large steel buildings and offer to clean up the scraps for free. 

In the old one car garage I had a wood heater to get it jumped started after I lit I would take my cutting torch and turn on the oxygen and blow in the draft and it would be roaring in seconds, lol. I use to do body work during the winter and paint when it got warm enough in there.

Nice!  I wish my garage could support a lift, because I'd really like to justify putting HVAC in there as well.

Lookin' good!  Hope it works how you want it to.  ::thumb::

Gotta really question the Cowboys sticker, though.   :shootself:

Nice!  I wish my garage could support a lift, because I'd really like to justify putting HVAC in there as well.

Lookin' good!  Hope it works how you want it to.  ::thumb::

Gotta really question the Cowboys sticker, though.   :shootself:

Back