Ram Air opening question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
Last edited by a moderator:
Grills are non functional, completely block off the openings. Your assumption is correct.

Yes, the block off plates are used on cars that have the NASA hood but, does not have the ram air set up with the flappers. I have been looking for a set of good actuators to get my flappers working for the last couple of years, just in case someone has a set they will part with.

The metal insert are on both functional and non-functional NASA hoods (NACA if you like) The plastic inserts are held in with screws. On ram air, the plenum butts up to it. I don't have R/A so just going from memory.

This is a close up of the only current picture I have of my car's hood. Are those inserts there and just silver so I am not noticing them because they fit so well they just seem part of the hood? Again, this Mach 1 is all new to me never really having seen many in the past or not paying close attention.

This is a close up of the only current picture I have of my car's hood. Are those inserts there and just silver so I am not noticing them because they fit so well they just seem part of the hood?  Again, this Mach 1 is all new to me never really having seen many in the past or not paying close attention.

I can barely see the plastic inserts, but if it were me, I'd paint them flat black for contrast. The problem with them is they get dirty and hard to clean.

I'll get some close-ups soon and post them for you, Stay tuned!

Yours are correct. They should be the same color as your accent color. So if it’s argent like yours  are then they should be that color. If it’s black like Stanglovers, then they should be black. Those were the only two colors that you could get. Normally the dark color cars got the argent.

so from my picture I guess mine are in place and fit/blend so well I did not realize they were separate from the hood itself, my lines look like the lines on Stanglovers picture. Need my car back so I can figure these things out firsthand instead of from pictures.

Yes, they are there. They stand out as much as any other. Looking at your hood I can clearly see the inserts. Looks good to me!

Here’s a pic of my hood with repo inserts. If yours are original they probably fit and look better than mine.

Ok, I see, so why are we talking about the plastic inserts or did I/we just misunderstand all along. Anyway I did take some under hood pics of mine which of course is non-ram air. A waste of time really now, but may be useful regardless.

Mounting bolts for the metal insert.

Wonder if anyone ever took the plastic "grills" and opened them up for air flow to use with an active ram air.
I don't think they'd fit in, besides it would actually cut the airflow slightly. The air filter is there to catch the bugs!

Don't overthink this my friend.

Plus the ram air doesn’t really do much anyway. You only really benefit when at a high rate of speed. And it adds around 5-10 hp at most. And that’s probably a stretch. But it sure does look cool!

Back