Decoding Bucktag

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mclinden

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible. Numbers matching, M-code 351, 4-speed transmission, 9inch 3:55 traction lock differential. In the process of restoration.
[url=https://ibb.co/9G2qzVG][img]https://i.ibb.co/DLk7s8L/F86-F1-A2-B-5-C13-4-BEF-A2-A0-C66654-A26-DC3.jpg[/img][/url]
Good afternoon all,

Newbie to the group and this is my first shout out.......

Started the process of complete restoration on my 71 M code, convertible, 4-speed Mustang.

Would greatly appreciate help with decoding Bucktag from radiator support bracket.

Here are the codes:

1) PB

2) FM

3) RM

4) BTRAC

5) DC

6) DE

7) H2

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve M

I'll look in my book, Mustang and Cougar tagbook (1965-1973) by Kevin Marti. As you're new, perhaps you are not aware of the Marti Report that you can get for your car. There are different levels you can purchase, but go online. Sorry, I don't have the web address on this computer (new one)yet.

As for the buck tag, there is more info needed. What are the first 5 numbers and digits of the VIN. We need to know if the car was built in Metuchen or Detroit. Perhaps post a pic of it.

EDIT, sorry, I figured it out when looking through the Tag Book. It's a Dearborn car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll look in my book, Mustang and Cougar tagbook (1965-1973) by Kevin Marti. As you're new, perhaps you are not aware of the Marti Report that you can get for your car. There are different levels you can purchase, but go online. Sorry, I don't have the web address on this computer (new one)yet.

As for the buck tag, there is more info needed. What are the first 5 numbers and digits of the VIN. We need to know if the car was built in Metuchen or Detroit. Perhaps post a pic of it.
www.martiauto.com

Good afternoon all,

Started the process of complete restoration on my 71 M code, convertible, 4-speed Mustang.

Would greatly appreciate help with decoding Bucktag from radiator support bracket.

Here are the codes:

1) PB ...... Power Disc brakes

2) FM...... AM/FM radio

3) RM......

4) BTRAC   RM....... Dual racing mirrors

5) DC....... Protection Group.

6) DE....... Dual exhaust.

7) H2...... No reference to this in the tag book, so no idea at this time.

This is a Dearborn car for sure.

www.martiauto.com
 Thanks.  ::thumb::

Stanglover   Thank you for your assistance. It is a Dearborn car and according to Marti said:
Good afternoon all,

Here are the codes:

1) PB ...... Power Disc brakes

2) FM...... AM/FM radio

3) RM......

4) BTRAC   RM....... Dual racing mirrors

5) DC....... Protection Group.

6) DE....... Dual exhaust.

7) H2...... No reference to this in the tag book, so no idea at this time.

This is a Dearborn car for sure.

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

If you have not pulled the interior out when you do be sure to look for your Build Sheet. They are not always there and sometimes in bad shape. Can be under a seat, under carpet or under sound deadening. Can also be stuffed under dash or in seat structure welded to the floor. This will have everything installed on the car during assembly.

The buck tag is there for the body shop to add the correct panels like for the mirrors, AC, spoiler and such. your car was an AM/FM the doors needed the holes for the wires and the rubber boot. 

Never toss anything some parts are not available, especially the rubber boots for the door speaker wires.

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

If you have not pulled the interior out when you do be sure to look for your Build Sheet. They are not always there and sometimes in bad shape. Can be under a seat, under carpet or under sound deadening. Can also be stuffed under dash or in seat structure welded to the floor. This will have everything installed on the car during assembly.

The buck tag is there for the body shop to add the correct panels like for the mirrors, AC, spoiler and such. your car was an AM/FM the doors needed the holes for the wires and the rubber boot. 

Never toss anything some parts are not available, especially the rubber boots for the door speaker wires.
 Good point on the build sheet(s) Very valuable info. If the carpet is original and in good condition, the chances are quite good there will be at least 1 there somewhere.

Back