Identify wires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
work in progress
302 automatic
[url=https://ibb.co/cwk3bw3][img]https://i.ibb.co/DYzWGYW/IMG-3420.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://statewideinventory.org/used-cars]statewide auto sun valley[/url]
Need help identifying these 3 wires.  They are located on the drivers side bottom of fender well near radiator.  

wire 1.  is blue and has a black connector (maybe oil or heat sensors?)

wire 2 & 3.  they are twisted together.  best I can tell 1 is black and 1 black w/white strip.

thanks

Bob

Possible horn and windshield washer pump.  Go to the top of the page to Mustang data.  There you will find the electrical schematics for your car.
Update - Looks like they changed the format under Mustang data.  Go to the  Mustang data tab and then 71-71 Wikipedia tab and that will take you to the schematics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need help identifying these 3 wires.  They are located on the drivers side bottom of fender well near radiator.  

wire 2 & 3.  they are twisted together.  best I can tell 1 is black and 1 black w/white strip.

thanks

Bob
Hi

By golly I believe Kilgon is correct.

If the picture is of the drivers side inside fender well that is where your washer fluid jug goes. The blue one I believe is for the horn.

thanks

Bob
Hi

If the picture is of the drivers side inside fender well that is where your washer fluid jug goes. The blue one I believe is for the horn.
Ding Ding Ding!  We have a winner.  The black and black/white wires should not be tied together (washer pump signal and ground).  Blue is horn.

thanks

Bob
Hi

Ding Ding Ding!  We have a winner.  The black and black/white wires should not be tied together (washer pump signal and ground).  Blue is horn.
Thanks almighty wiring master ..........it is now written in gold. Seriously, we appreciate your knowledge and help as always.

Hi

Thanks almighty wiring master ..........it is now written in gold. Seriously, we appreciate your knowledge and help as always.
Midlife......... if you wanted to soften the wire coating on old wires? What would you use to soak it in? Im not saying brittle jackets just stiff from heat. I always have used 303 aerospace. It works good but takes several days of soaking and drying.

Midlife......... if you wanted to soften the wire coating on old wires? What would you use to soak it in? Im not saying brittle jackets just stiff from heat. I always have used 303 aerospace. It works good but takes several days of soaking and drying.
Dunno...I don't run across that problem, really.  I clean everything with lacquer thinner (wipe, rub, dry).  If wires  are too stiff, then insulation will break and I toss it into the recycle bin.

Thanks for all the help. My after market horns are mounted in the area in front of radiator. They are connected to a wire near top of driver side shock tower. Right now I have a windshield washer tank (no pump) that is not mounted. I'd like to mount the tank but not sure not sure the proper location. Any help on location is appreciated.

thanks

Bob

Here's a shot of how the windshield washer tank and horns are mounted.

You can kind of see the lower horn in the bottom of the picture.

I have cleaned the engine bay up some since this was taken.

I can take more pictures if you need.

Mike

Here's a shot of how the windshield washer tank and horns are mounted.

You can kind of see the lower horn in the bottom of the picture.

I have cleaned the engine bay up some since this was taken.

I can take more pictures if you need.

Mike
Thanks Mike for sharing the photo. I thought I would help toot your horn :)  :bravo:

Our cars had two horns a High and Low. There was one under the washer tank and one high on the LH shock tower.
Does it matter where you mount the high and the low horn? I see one is a 2 wire and the other a 1 wire connection.

Does it matter where you mount the high and the low horn? I see one is a 2 wire and the other a 1 wire connection.
As I recall, the mounting tabs for each horn only fit one way for each location.

As I recall, the mounting tabs for each horn only fit one way for each location.
Also as far as one having 2 wires and the other 1 wire. There is one wire carrying voltage to the horns, the second wire on the first horn is just to keep the signal going to the second horn.

That helps when they make it simple stupid for us dyslexic folks  :-/

Back