• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Battery Heat shield

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 SCJ Green
1971 CJ Pewter
1973 H-Code Copper
1967 Q-Code Galaxie
Hello everyone, I am still looking to purchase a battery heat shield for a 1971 429cj a/c car, part number is D0OB-A682-A. can anyone give me a lead where I can find one.

Tim

Hello Tim,

Locating an original heat shield is probably going to be a tough find. Underhood heat was not kind to these shields although they were sort of a sacrificial part keeping heat from the battery. They warped and cracked from the heat and age and were normally pitched in the trash since reinstalling one was a PIA.

The 65-72 MPC (Ford parts catalog) doesn't go into a lot of detail or specify what the qualifiers were for vehicle applications. The shield is sourced from the 70-71 Torino. The shield (Ford part# DOOZ-10A682-A) was listed for 70-71 Torino and 1970/ Mustang and sister Mercury vehicles. Applications on earlier pre 70 cars were mostly Big Block and AC cars. My 70 "M" Torino GT  and both of my 71 "M" Mach 1's,  all equipped with AC and 24 series battery didn't have the shield.

The only vehicle I've owned that had a battery heat shield was a 72 Gran Torino Sport with the 429, AC and 27 series battery.

At this point, unless a forum member has one or Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang can help, you are limited on options. Depending on your level of desire for originality you could look at the offering from NPD (National Parts Depot). Just make sure you're sitting down when you check it out. :whistling:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/battery-shield-black-plastic-repro-high-quality-limited/206762?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dbattery%252Bhe

Thanks Steve, mine still had it as of a few weeks ago when I put my car in the shop. They pulled the battery out to work on the rust on the battery tray. They did not put the heat shield back on and now they can't find it. The heat shield came on the 3 run of heat shields produced, late 70 though 73 on all high performance engines,  big block cars with A/c as well as high performance 351cj cars. That was mustangs or Torino's that had the group 27 battery.

Tim

Thanks Steve, mine still had it as of a few weeks ago when I put my car in the shop. They pulled the battery out to work on the rust on the battery tray. They did not put the heat shield back on and now they can't find it. The heat shield came on the 3 run of heat shields produced, late 70 though 73 on all high performance engines,  big block cars with A/c as well as high performance 351cj cars. That was mustangs or Torino's that had the group 27 battery.

Tim
I’m not convinced all the car’s you note here received the battery heat shield... interesting subject though. I had no luck in finding an original heat shield for my ‘71 J Code Mustang convertible. I found a nice repo a few years back, can’t recall where I got it at the moment, might have been SEMO. I have never seen an original piece for sale... Good luck in your search.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t believe the battery shield came on 351cj car’s...

Information taken off of the 429megasite

battery

Ford used a battery shield on cars with air conditioning or high performance engines (Boss 351 and 429 CJ/SCJ). The purpose of the shield was to deflect engine compartment heat away from the battery. Note how the shield is placed around the top and side of the battery. The part number for this shield (now obsolete) is D0OB-10A682-A . For 1971, Ford offered both a Group 24 and a 27 battery, but the 429 Mustang used only the 27F.

Back