Steering Column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

Need a little help on this one. Put the dash back in the car today and all was going well until I went to put the plastic collar on the steering column.  I notice that the column is off center of the dash opening.  I tried to shift the dash to the left but am out of elongate hole and can not move it any more.  Is there another way to move the column left or right.  I don't recall if the main brace that the steering and brake brackets are attached to behind the instrument cluster is capable of any side to side moment.  You can see in the picture how the column is hitting the left side of the dash.

The four bolts that hold the column up to the dash or nuts should have some play in them. Also there is a process for putting the steering wheel on would have to get the manual out. There is a mark on shaft and wheel that you use I think. I would not bolt on the steering wheel till about the last thing just gets in your way. 

How the coupling goes on the steering box also has a position. A tilt column also needs a different setting on the rag joint. The Osborne Chassis assembly manual gives the info. I have put mine somewhere so I would not loose it and cannot find it, lol.

The four bolts that hold the column up to the dash or nuts should have some play in them. Also there is a process for putting the steering wheel on would have to get the manual out. There is a mark on shaft and wheel that you use I think. I would not bolt on the steering wheel till about the last thing just gets in your way. 

How the coupling goes on the steering box also has a position. A tilt column also needs a different setting on the rag joint. The Osborne Chassis assembly manual gives the info. I have put mine somewhere so I would not loose it and cannot find it, lol.
Tried the 3 nuts that hold the steering column to the main support pictured below.  Very little movement.  Don't know if the below bracket has any side to side movement. Trying not to pull the instrument cluster out if I don't have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you should have some adjustment n the maindash assembly mounts that goes Left to right.  

I believe there is adjustment in the bolts that fasten to the A-pillar brackets.

How extensive was your body rebuild?  Any chance things got mis=aligned during body refurb?

kcmash

I believe you should have some adjustment n the maindash assembly mounts that goes Left to right.  

I believe there is adjustment in the bolts that fasten to the A-pillar brackets.

How extensive was your body rebuild?  Any chance things got mis=aligned during body refurb?

kcmash
I stripped it bare.  I drilled alignment holes in every bracket I took off.  It could have been off center when I got the car and just didn't notice it.  Didn't have it very long before I started stripping it.  There is adjustment in the main dash assembly and I have slid it to the left as far as it will go.   I'll pull the dash cluster out tomorrow and see if I can get to the bolts that holds the main bracket.  I hoping that the boxed in nuts in the cowl have some side to side adjustment. Hate pulling the cluster. The cluster circuit board isn't in the best of shape and the contacts are coming loose from the backing. Got everything nice and tidy behind there before putting the dash in today.

Last edited by a moderator:

kcmash
I stripped it bare.  I drilled alignment holes in every bracket I took off.  It could have been off center when I got the car and just didn't notice it.  Didn't have it very long before I started stripping it.  There is adjustment in the main dash assembly and I have slid it to the left as far as it will go.   I'll pull the dash cluster out tomorrow and see if I can get to the bolts that holds the main bracket.  I hoping that the boxed in nuts in the cowl have some side to side adjustment.  Hate pulling the cluster.  The cluster circuit board isn't in the best of shape and the contacts are coming loose from the backing.  Got everything nice and tidy behind there before putting the dash in today.
I had the same problem.  my issue was at the firewall.  i had inadvertently tightened all the other bolts first 'before' I tightened the main bracket at the firewall; specifically the ones on the right side.  This now torqued the entire brace to the left like you have.  Loosened everything back up and started back at the brace.  That fixed the problem.

kcmash
I stripped it bare.  I drilled alignment holes in every bracket I took off.  It could have been off center when I got the car and just didn't notice it.  Didn't have it very long before I started stripping it.  There is adjustment in the main dash assembly and I have slid it to the left as far as it will go.   I'll pull the dash cluster out tomorrow and see if I can get to the bolts that holds the main bracket.  I hoping that the boxed in nuts in the cowl have some side to side adjustment.  Hate pulling the cluster.  The cluster circuit board isn't in the best of shape and the contacts are coming loose from the backing.  Got everything nice and tidy behind there before putting the dash in today.
I had the same problem.  my issue was at the firewall.  i had inadvertently tightened all the other bolts first 'before' I tightened the main bracket at the firewall; specifically the ones on the right side.  This now torqued the entire brace to the left like you have.  Loosened everything back up and started back at the brace.  That fixed the problem.

Great! That's what I needed to know.  Makes sense.  Now just have to get this old sore body of mine up under the dash to get to the brake support bracket at the firewall. Fun fun fun!  :D

kcmash
The box nuts at the top do float some, and you don't have to remove the cluster to loosen those.  Just remove the dash pad, loosen them and see if she moves for you.  Mine has always been a little left side biased, but I know the box nuts at the column connection, the pedal box and the dash mount points all have some play.

Make sure the center support bar is loosened too so it doesn't restrict your ability to shift left.

kcmash

kcmash
The box nuts at the top do float some, and you don't have to remove the cluster to loosen those.  Just remove the dash pad, loosen them and see if she moves for you.  Mine has always been a little left side biased, but I know the box nuts at the column connection, the pedal box and the dash mount points all have some play.

Make sure the center support bar is loosened too so it doesn't restrict your ability to shift left.

kcmash
  I went ahead and pulled the cluster.   Figure it be easier with that out of the way.  Car had a/c so there is duct work right at the back top of the cluster.  Blessing in disguess.  I didn't get the speedo cable connected yesterday when putting the dash back in so got that taken care of also.  Did get the column move to the right enough to look good.  

Got everything hooked back up and have been chasing electrical issues.  First no headlights.  Traced it down to bad dimmer switch.  Next wipers not working.  Bad ground at motor.  Fuel gauge not working.  Bad connection at sending unit.  Got everything working at last I think.

Back