• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

NOS 71-72 Argent Decal Sets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do YOU think I should do?

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Now that the weather is breaking I am ready to stripe my Mach 1.  I have a set of NOS Argent stripes,  both the body side kit and the Mach 1 Fender and Trunk decals.   All have been stored in my bedroom closet since the 80s.

Are there any purist out there that "Have to have NOS" for the high end boss, 429, or R-Code Restorations?  Not sure if I should sell these and buy reproduction from Phoenix Graphics, or just use them because a stripe kit is a stripe kit.

Your thoughts?

kcmash

If you buy repo would be interested to see how close the NOS and repo match. I understand the 73 stripe kits are no where near on the 73. 

I bought 25 sets of 20th. ANN Mustang GT-350 stripes from Ford when they pulled them from stock. I sell them on ebay and have not had a complaint they were made in the 80's or course by 3-M. They are still on the backing and not lifting anywhere. 

I guess your worst case is if they do not lay down good you can remove them and go with repo.

I would have to ask how dedicated to originality is your project?  If you're needing to remain as close to original as possible, then give the NOS stripes a go, and hope for the best.

Otherwise, I'd say go with a set of repops and save yourself a lot of potential hassle and worry.  As the others have mentioned, there might be a fidelity issue with the adhesive and pliability issues with the vinyl after aging for so long.  Granted, being in a climate-controlled environment all this time was the best thing for them, but being rolled up in a box all that time no matter how well sequestered from fluctuating temperatures and humidity will have taken its toll.  Cracking as they unroll is a very big possibility, and tearing during the installation are the things I'd be most concerned with.  Then there's the thought of what happens after they've been on there - will they last as long as new vinyl since the aging process has already been underway?

Having used the repops on mine, I can honestly say that I had zero problems with pliability, distortion, or otherwise.  I didn't install my trunk stripe properly (didn't wrap around the edges, but cut them off just short like most modern cars), but it doesn't bother me... and it certainly wasn't the stripes' fault. ;)

Good luck, whichever way you go!

Back