Brake Line Removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesdeanblvd

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Fastback
Owned since: 1985 (first car)
351 Cleveland 4v
fmx trannsmission (for now)
While on quarantine, I've decided to get back to working on my 72 brakes.  I'm replacing basically everything, and on the line going across the firewall, it appears that I may have to remove the vac canister, which is located on the passenger side rear corner of engine compartment.  My question, how do you get the canister off?  I've been looking through the original 72 shop manuals, and it jumps around that.  I didn't see any bolts in the front wheel well compartment that would remove it.  Not much room to work with, and don't really feel like removing parts I don't need to.  Thanks for your help.

OOOOH - it looks like you have front disc brakes. I assume they are power as well. I am about ready to install my proportioning valve, but when I replaced the apron I forgot to mark where the mounting holes should be. Could you also post a pic of where your valve is installed?

While on quarantine, I've decided to get back to working on my 72 brakes.  I'm replacing basically everything, and on the line going across the firewall, it appears that I may have to remove the vac canister, which is located on the passenger side rear corner of engine compartment.  My question, how do you get the canister off?  I've been looking through the original 72 shop manuals, and it jumps around that.  I didn't see any bolts in the front wheel well compartment that would remove it.  Not much room to work with, and don't really feel like removing parts I don't need to.  Thanks for your help.
If you have a/c, there is a small black canister as a reservoir for the vacuum.  There are two rubber lines going to it - they are function specific so mark them for correct re-fit later.   It has two captive bolts on the bracket with nuts inside the wheel well.   This is the rear most one and lower down, so the nuts may be covered with underseal or other material build up.    Remove the splash shield to make life easier.

There is also the larger, blue, canister for fuel vapor recovery ( a k a  " cookie jar " )  This has a band around the canister body which you can slacken off then get the can out.  The band is also bolted into the wheel well and easier to get at.  Sorry, no pics but you'll work it out once you start.

Have fun.

PKJ

There is no vacuum canister associated with the brakes, other than the vacuum booster. If you have a car with A.C. you will have a vacuum canister for the vacuum controls on it. The only other canister is the charcoal canister for the gas tank vent.

Ha, that's something, he asked the question 3 hours ago and we answered within a couple of minutes of each other.
Different sides of the world time zones - I'm in Australia, you're on West Coast U S A.  I was responding to the question ref vac canisters on passenger side, he's also talking brake booster, driver's side.  We'll sort it.

Stay safe.

PKJ

6DUB606  That is it.  I climbed below and I started wiping it down and it was blue under the black and grime.  I just seen there was a band with one bold said:
If you have a/c, there is a small black canister as a reservoir for the vacuum.  There are two rubber lines going to it - they are function specific so mark them for correct re-fit later.   It has two captive bolts on the bracket with nuts inside the wheel well.   This is the rear most one and lower down, so the nuts may be covered with underseal or other material build up.    Remove the splash shield to make life easier.

There is also the larger, blue, canister for fuel vapor recovery ( a k a  " cookie jar " )  This has a band around the canister body which you can slacken off then get the can out.  The band is also bolted into the wheel well and easier to get at.  Sorry, no pics but you'll work it out once you start.

Have fun.

PKJ

Back