Keep it original?

goforbroke

I had to ask myself the same question this past Fall when I wanted more power. I have a 73 Mexican Mach 1, of which only 300 were made. prob far fewer with the 4spd and factory AC like mine. anyway, I knew I wanted 500-600hp. I could have the stock motor built, or I could get a crate motor. I decided on a crate 418 550hp. I'm very happy with the decision, its a great driver. I decided that my car will never be a collectible. it would need a full restoration for that, and while I have replaced/upgraded many things, the car will never be a shiny showroom piece. for that reason, the engine swap made sense for me

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My '71 convertible was a bone stock 250 straight 6 with a 3-speed. It was light blue, white standard interior with a black top and white boot cover. The engine was seized when I bought it in 1980 from the original owner (literally an old maid schoolteacher). The jack fell out of the car when I towed it home. To get it running, I took it to an outfit in St. Louis for an engine swap (another 250 I6). A coworker of my mother fixed the rust and repainted it in the original color. I drove it that way for 30 years until the doors started to close hard. It is now into it's 9th year of a nut and bolt restoration, however I am building the car I want, using all Ford parts wherever possible, either NOS, reconditioned OEM or Ford authorized reproduction (a lot easier to do now than when I started). It will have AC, PS, PDB, gauges, Ram Air, power windows, Grabber Blue with Argent stripes, white deluxe interior, black top with a Boss 302 engine and 4-speed close ratio transmission. Ford never produced one like it. So, it won't be original as Ford built it at the factory, but it will be "original" in that it will have as much period Ford content as possible in as close to original finishes as possible (less the factory installed rust).

---

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Im with the restomod crowd. As others have said, you have to decide what you want out of the car. If you plan to sell it for as much as possible, keep it original. But personally with mine, I want to enjoy it for as long as possible, and maybe even one day pass it down to my kids. So I dont have any problems changing stuff up on mine. I want to try to keep some things period correct, but at the same time I plan on a Sniper EFI setup so I can enjoy driving it more. But I have never been one who believes in garage queens, I enjoy driving the cars I own too much to let them hide their lives away in a garage.

• Like 1