71 Mustang cowl area.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave1956

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportroof
[url=https://ibb.co/R9pkSdL][img]https://i.ibb.co/Y37FWwv/thumbnail-1971-Mustang-1.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi All,

It has been awhile since I have posted anything pertaining to my car. Due to recent knee replacement I have not been able to work on my car but have bounced back and ready to take on the task. Due to the Covid 19 outbreak I am taking advantage of being off work and in self isolation to start working on my car.

What I have run across is the cowl area is covered in with sheet metal not allowing access to the wiper motor and components. I am not sure if this factory done or by the previous owner?

I have a lazy passenger side wiper arm that needs attention and the only way is to remove the covered area. Not sure if I am opening a can of worms here but would appreciate any feed back or recommendations.

Thanks for your time - take care & stay safe.

That’s not factory. The cowl probably was leaking into the passenger compartments and a previous owner covered that up to make the leaks stop. Definitely will turn into a can of worms like most things on our cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s not factory.  The cowl probably was leaking into the passenger compartments and a previous owner covered that up to make the leaks stop. Definitely will turn into a can of worms like most things on our cars.
Thanks for the reply. Should I open the can of worms or leave as is? I figure the worst that could happen is recover the area.

That’s not factory, there should be screens. Looks like someone may be hiding something there? I have a pic of mine, not that great but you can see them.

I have the screens. I was going to use them as a template to cut the holes.

My 71 XR-7 had a rusty cowl and that was exactly what I did to stop the leaks. Worst case you just cover it back up until you're ready to fix it properly.

Look from inside the car on the passenger side if you really want to see the carnage :)

At this point in the game I am looking at "nothing ventured nothing gained". I am going to open up the can of worms and see first hand as to what is going on under the covered cowl vents. I will post my findings. Thanks.
First dibs on any coins, dollar bills found underneath that cowl cover...ya never know...

Could be stashed full of Cocaine! :D

Does your car have Factory A/C? Reason I ask is this.....If the car had Factory A/C then there will (should be) One Vented hole with a collar on the Right Hand Side side of the car , if your car did not have A/C then there will be 2 Vented Holes with Collars (1 on each side of the inner lower Cowl).

Water and leaves and other crud builds up around the collars and then Rots out.

Now for the earlier Mustangs you can buy a lower weld in vented panel with the collar, but currently for the 71/73s you have to buy the whole lower cowl !

This is what my car currently looks like....

49623471941_fa5925620d_b.jpg

49623750892_e48891c742_b.jpg

Good luck! 100% A can of Worms!

Here's a quick Link so you can get an Idea on parts

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=3228

Here's what I was talking about showing Just a weld in section with the collar for the 1968 Mustangs

https://www.cjponyparts.com/lower-cowl-repair-panel-passenger-side-1965-1968/p/M136R/

As you can see, there's a bit of a price difference, not to mention all the Prep and fabrication work and Paint! Oh forgot to mention the Front windscreen will have to come out too!

And of course the Heater box / A/C will have to be drained and disconnected and While you're there ..............

Check out this thread for Awesome Pictures and a How to guide

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-reworking-the-rusty-cowl

Here is what you might see or worse.

If you do find a bad cowl? I hope you dont? may have been just a small problem they covered up? But if you do? I posted a pictured step by step cowl repair that I did on my 71. Good Luck!

Could be stashed full of Cocaine! :D

Does your car have Factory A/C?  Reason I ask is this.....If the car had Factory A/C then there  will  (should be) One Vented  hole with a collar on the Right Hand Side  side of the car , if your car did not have A/C then there will be 2 Vented Holes with Collars (1 on each side of the inner lower Cowl).

Water and leaves and other crud builds up around the collars and then Rots out.

Now for the earlier Mustangs you can buy a lower weld in vented panel with the collar, but currently for the 71/73s you have to buy the whole lower cowl !

This is what  my car currently looks like....

49623471941_fa5925620d_b.jpg

49623750892_e48891c742_b.jpg

Good luck!  100% A can of Worms!

Thanks for the reply. I do not have A/C and I hope I don't run into anything like you posted. Fingers & toes crossed.

Before I start cutting and removing the sheet metal that is covering the vent, I found a rubber plug on the drivers side that I will remove and insert an inspection camera to hopefully get an idea of what is going in the cowl area (I found a camera on Amazon that hooks up to my iPhone that has lights).

If I can get pictures using this device I will certainly post them.

At this point in the game I am looking at "nothing ventured nothing gained". I am going to open up the can of worms and see first hand as to what is going on under the covered cowl vents. I will post my findings. Thanks.
First dibs on any coins, dollar bills found underneath that cowl cover...ya never know...
If I find any coins, dollar bills (I live in Canada so the largest bill would be a 5) I will split it with you evenly 60/40 (60 for me LOL).

Thanks for the reply. I do not have A/C and I hope I don't run into anything like you posted. Fingers & toes crossed.

Before I start cutting and removing the sheet metal that is covering the vent, I found a rubber plug on the drivers side that I will remove and insert an inspection camera to hopefully get an idea of what is going in the cowl area (I found a camera on Amazon that hooks up to my iPhone that has lights).

If I can get pictures using this device I will certainly post them.
I am curious as to which camera you got that works with iPhone and how it actually works when you get it.

Back