Trunk Parts on Trunk Floor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hi Everyone,

Hope this message finds everyone well.  I'm finding ironically... I suddenly have more time for my car.  Even under this difficult situation we are facing I'm taking some of the down time to spend with family and work on the 72.

Anyways I took the parts shown in the pic off the other trunk and am in the process of reinstalling them in the new trunk.  Can someone please, with the same spare tire rectangle mount, measure to the edge of the trunk floor (against the tail) and to the edge of the drop down.  It would be much appreciated.  I need to rebfab the front tab since it was in bad shape.  I have the flap that the spring attaches to for air or fluorcarbon canister but it needs to be straightened since the previous owner flattened it to the floor.

I also was wondering what those parts that look like butterflies in the pic are used for?  There are two as you know.  I thought they maybe held the tire iron but not sure how it would clear past the bump where the gas filler enters if it went horizontally across the floor.

I may paint an empty propane bottle and buy a sticker to replicate the look of the canister and paint it red.  Has anyone done this?  Not sure if I can afford a true space saver tire.  Looks like the survivors are $$.  Maybe a modern one with a plaid Mustang case over it?  Not sure...

Thanks,

Darren

The butterfly pieces are what the wire forms on the drop down rest on or on the rubber inserts that go there. The emboss in the floor is the target so center them in those. I have a car with space saver and here is a couple pictures. 

Watch out on the space saver spares. People miss represent them. There is specific ones for specific years. This is a 1973.

Butterflies hold the bumpers that retain the trap door and keep it from bouncing when it's open.
Thanks...much appreciated.  I had no idea.  Makes sense.

The butterfly pieces are what the wire forms on the drop down rest on or on the rubber inserts that go there. The emboss in the floor is the target so center them in those. I have a car with space saver and here is a couple pictures. 

Watch out on the space saver spares. People miss represent them. There is specific ones for specific years. This is a 1973.

Thanks for the help...Great pics!

Back