Drive on the Brickyard

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
Back on August 1st I was invited to drive my car at the Indy Motor Speedway after the Brickyard 400. We have been ticket holders since the 94' Inaugural Race and they invited Inaugural race ticket holders to a drive on the track event on Monday after the race. I admit it was fun, but not all that I hoped. I wanted to get several pictures of my car on the track and some key pictures like Gasoline Alley and the start finish line. It was still nice to do, but could have been so much better if the bean counters and insurance folks hadn't messed it all up. There were alot more people there than I expected and some nice cars going around the track (Austin Martin, classic vettes, classic impalas) Here are a couple of pics of my 67' GT.

Going into the front stretch

Mustang @ Indy 041.jpg

Going into turn 3 @ 20 Mph (should have been 200 Mph)

Mustang @ Indy 021.jpg

My Father and I getting one last picture

dad and I @ Indy.jpg

Cool anyway! Did you have a pace car you had to follow to keep the speed down?
Yes and no. They had track cars driving around and folks standing on the inside watching your speed. Some bozo in a convertable corvette at the front of our group wouldn't go over 25 mph. I wanted to pass him, but figured I would probably get tossed out for that.

He was going as fast as he could:D
lmao!! typical vett driver too...i tried to race a few..even know they had more HP than me at the time...they allways look the other way..and pretend im not there and passing them.....afraid of this mean red car with scoops and stripes...it hurts there pride alot more when they lose too a mustang..hehehe

awsome day it looks like!! and something not everyone has got to do...drive on a real pro track....even if they restrict you..hehe

Cool that you got to do it...sucks you couldn't do it fast. I've driven Bristol the same way once at night. Driving Bristol slow was interesting in those high banked curves...felt like the car was going to flip over and down the embankment. Needed to hit it at 100 mph minimum - not the 25 we were doing.

I have driven around the Indy Speedway a few times. Once in the Mach 1, and a couple of times on sidecar rigs. Nascar guys say the track is flat, but you can really feel the banking on a sidecar rig. The car pictures are from an Indy Mustang Club event in the mid 1990s. The sidecar picture is from 1986, our motorcycle club had a charity ride that ended up at the Speedway for a lap around the track.

Mach 1 at Indy2.jpg

Mach 1 at Indy3.jpg

Track lap 86.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back