Original Rear-view Mirrors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 429 Super Cobra Jet, 4.11, Detroit Locker
As most of you know, the rear view mirrors in our 71-73 Mustangs are unusual: 12 inches long to supplement the poor vision out of the back glass. I'd like to use the original, but as you can see from the photograph, the glass needs replacement. 

Has anyone replaced the glass in their mirrors, and if so, what type of shop provided the glass?

Or, can the glass itself be refreshed and made like new? If so, how did you accomplish it?

Thank you. 

As most of you know, the rear view mirrors in our 71-73 Mustangs are unusual: 12 inches long to supplement the poor vision out of the back glass. I'd like to use the original, but as you can see from the photograph, the glass needs replacement. 

Has anyone replaced the glass in their mirrors, and if so, what type of shop provided the glass?

Or, can the glass itself be refreshed and made like new? If so, how did you accomplish it?

Thank you. 
West Coast Classic Cougar does them...

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c9zz-17700-b-restored.html

All three body styles used the same mirror. You may find some differences in sizes since the part number changed three times. The original was sourced from the 69 Full-size Ford (2.45" x 10")  and was OE for 70-71 Mustangs. Sometime during 71 production, that was replaced by  70/ full-size Ford mirror, 2 1/2" x 12". That mirror remained in service for all 73/ Mustangs until it was replaced in 1985 by the Crown Vic mirror which measured 2 29/64" X 10".

Back