Picture of parking brake

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copestang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
In the Process of Installed my parking brake, I’m looking for a picture of the route the cable go and how they are Connect, I’ve already seen a print, I’m looking for a pic

In the Process of Installed my parking brake, I’m looking for a picture of the route the cable go and how they are Connect, I’ve already seen a print, I’m looking for a pic
I'm not sure this will be of any help. I'm currently in process of rebuilding and reinstalling my rear axle with all new brakes. I took a few picture as a reminder, but not specifically of the parking brake, so I'm not sure of what you need.

Here's a pic or two anyway.

Cable clip through backing plate 

Red arrow = parking brake lever attached to rear shoe

Not really. I’m doing the parking brake, I have the 3 cables this need to know how to hook them up

Not really. I’m doing the parking brake, I have the 3 cables this need to know how to hook them up
 Well, I'll be under the car later today or tomorrow and can take pictures of the cables. Is it the back end or the front end that is the issue? They aren't that hard to do.

The shorter cable with the ball on one end and the spring on the other goes to the driver's side rear wheel (spring at the wheel). The shorter cable with the ball on one end and threaded shaft on the other goes from the pedal (ball end) through the floor, through the frame, to a bracket under the car. The long cable with the ball on one end and spring on the other goes to the passenger rear wheel (spring at the wheel). The balls on the long and short cable are captured in a bracket, the long cable goes through a tensioner bracket that is attached to the threaded shaft, and the cable is captured by a hook from a frame bracket on the passenger side. That might help with the photos above.

The shorter cable with the ball on one end and the spring on the other goes to the driver's side rear wheel (spring at the wheel).  The shorter cable with the ball on one end and threaded shaft on the other goes from the pedal (ball end) through the floor, through the frame, to a bracket under the car.  The long cable with the ball on one end and spring on the other goes to the passenger rear wheel (spring at the wheel).  The balls on the long and short cable are captured in a bracket, the long cable goes through a tensioner bracket that is attached to the threaded shaft, and the cable is captured by a hook from a frame bracket on the passenger side.  That might help with the photos above.
Mike, that sounds like a very good explanation and easy to follow. I personally have not had to replace mine, but if I did, I could follow your directions. Hopefully with the pictures, our friend will have no problem doing the job.

Good post!

Thanks a lot, that what I’ve been looking for
 That's great, now git er done!

I think there is a 'pliers like tool' to help connect the cable to the arm on the brake shoe, or maybe connect it before adjusting the cable tension. Just a thought on that.

698F00CC-17F4-486B-929A-D3266BB1C8D7.jpegOh wow, a day late lol, I’ve pull the axles off to hook Them up, but can’t figure out to lock the passengersl side in it smooth not like the driver side which click in698F00CC-17F4-486B-929A-D3266BB1C8D7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, a day late lol, I’ve pull the axles off to hook Them up, but can’t figure out to lock the passengersl side in it smooth not like the driver side which click in
What exactly are we looking at? Please explain in more detail.

In post #2 and #6, is that what you're talking about, the clip that snaps into the brake backing plate?

I'm sorry, I'm not following you. If yours does not look like that, it won't fit, maybe the wrong cable(s)

Try holding the camera (phone) back a bit to give better perspective.

Just trying to help and understand what's going on here.

Ok, sorry, I just realized the pic in the above post was from you also. Now I understand. Looks like you have the wrong cable end pieces

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran into this on the aftermarket ones too, you have to use the original rubber grommet/spacer to get the tension you need on the little fingers. I really wish they would test fit parts before they sell them!! UGH!!!! Hopefully your original seals/grommet things are in good shape!!

Back