cracked headlight

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slocody

Reaction score
My Car
it's a '73, and it's brown. still tryin' to figure out the rest.
Ok this is a stupid problem to be having, but it's a problem nonetheless....When I replace my headlights, the damn things keep cracking. How tight are the screws in the retention ring supposed to be? I have been bottoming out the tabs on the ring, but it appears this is too much. They always seem to crack right at one of the screws.

Thanks!

Cody

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you getting the molded in index tabs on the bulb into the slots in the bucket. The bulbs have a pattern in the glass that refracts the light to cover the road the locator on the bulb gets it in right place. Yes the rings should tighten all the way down. The brand name of the bulb should be in correct position to read when in the right spot.

Hmm I have been orienting the words on the bulb in the right direction, but I don't remember any tabs on the bubls themselves...maybe I had them off by a tad. I'll check it out. thanks!

I just snug mine to the point of not being able to rotate the ring or the bulb.

kcmash

I don't know if you have aftermarket aka Scott Drake trim rings, but if you do you'd better throw them in the next trash bin and buy some original ones. The SD pieces are so damn tight, even if you get them on (perhaps by sanding away at the bulbs) they'll crack your bulbs as soon as you drive off. Ask me how I know!!

Back