a new wiring harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkgd91

Reaction score
My Car
ford mustang 1971 V8 351 C
hello people i`m looking for a new wiring harness and i didnt know what i can take did you have any advice or dealer where i can purchase a new one?

and by the way there is some picture of my wiring harness on my mustang

and i dont know what is the purpose of these connector if anyone got a idea that could be great

somenone know what is the function of each fuse?

(i apologize in advance for my bad english i`m french and english are not my mother tongue sorry   :thankyouyellow:  )

The two plugs are for an optional clock (3 pin plug) and a heater illumination bulb (2 pin).

I can replace both the underdash and headlight harness if you turn yours in for cores. See my website:

http://midlifeharness.com

My car came with a replacement wire harness made by Kwick Wire (It is a universal Ford Harness

Note: I did not fit this, it was already fitted.

https://kwikwire.com/14-circuit-ford-wire-harness/

It depends if you want to keep your car original or slightly modified.

But Do not throw any of your old wiring away as you may need to reference colour and connectors.

If you do start taking the wiring apart, label everything and take many pictures for reference.

The two plugs are for an optional clock (3 pin plug) and a heater illumination bulb (2 pin).

I can replace both the underdash and headlight harness if you turn yours in for cores.  See my website:

the problems its a didn`t know if is the original wiring harness because it`s look like a wiring mess , maybe a prefere a complete wiring harness

the problems its a didn`t know if is the original wiring harness because it`s look like a wiring mess , maybe a prefere a complete wiring harness

I used on from Ron Francis. I love the harness and it can be built to your specifications. I had to find a few connectors but with most aftermarket stuff some changes are required. It was a very nice harness and ten years later zero issues.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/

I can replace both the underdash and headlight harness if you turn yours in for cores.  See my website:

That's an original harness that has been "modified". Midlife is proposing to sell you complete dash and engine compartment harnesses. He rebuilds 65-73 Mustang harnesses and would sell you a refurbished set. When you send yours back to him, you get a partial credit.

That's an original harness that has been "modified". Midlife is proposing to sell you complete dash and engine compartment harnesses. He rebuilds 65-73 Mustang harnesses and would sell you a refurbished set. When you send yours back to him, you get a partial credit.
when you said "modified" what is the meaning for you i`m interesting about that

I used on from Ron Francis. I love the harness and it can be built to your specifications. I had to find a few connectors but with most aftermarket stuff some changes are required. It was a very nice harness and ten years later zero issues.

Would you mind telling us what Ron Francis charges for a harness?  Thank you

Modified: changes have been made to correct faults, to handle new (to the car) features (such as an aftermarket radio), backyard repairs, and/or general malpractice by those who don't know what they are doing.  Mostly the last item...

+1 on the "general malpractice", I have spent many hours under the dashes and hoods of a variety of vehicles trying to sort messes out and make things work the way they should, not to mention all of the cooked wires I've replaced, bare wires twisted together and taped or wire nutted, fuses bypassed, etc. And, the number of hours spent in junkyards looking for correct color code wires. I wish I had kept a diary of the really weird stuff, would have made a good read.

+1 on the "general malpractice", I have spent many hours under the dashes and hoods of a variety of vehicles trying to sort messes out and make things work the way they should, not to mention all of the cooked wires I've replaced, bare wires twisted together and taped or wire nutted, fuses bypassed, etc. And, the number of hours spent in junkyards looking for correct color code wires. I wish I had kept a diary of the really weird stuff, would have made a good read.
Don.......Your thinking process would make you Damn good at it too!!! 

My wife Sally was a line trouble shooter for King Radio. She would find errors on aircraft radios when on the assembly line. On our mustang build She would set close and tell me to follow the yellow wire with green dots to a junction and thats where I would find the problem. It took us 3-4 weeks but she made it possible for us to save the harness on our mach.

It was this this forum where we got a copy of the wiring blue print. We had it enlarged to 3' x 4' then laminated on cardboard backing. I thank the forum members and my wife for making me look so smart  :D

and by the way anyone know how to wiring the coil? because mine didnt have any wiring on it

Look man, I sent my complete wiring harness to midlife for refurbishment and I am very happy I did! My wiring kinda looked like yours with all the tape insulation gone, kinda looking like spaghetti, I paid midlife a little extra because of it! I am aware you have to pay higher shipping from France but it'll be worth it.

Modified: changes have been made to correct faults, to handle new (to the car) features (such as an aftermarket radio), backyard repairs, and/or general malpractice by those who don't know what they are doing.  Mostly the last item...
I tend to use "quotes" to denote sarcasm online. My use of "modified" is exactly as Midlife described it, as it's been hacked up by a previous owner.

and by the way anyone know  how to wiring the coil? because mine didnt have any wiring on it
The engine has it's own harness that plugs into the main engine compartment harness by the rear of the driver's side valve cover. The link below is an example, yours may be different depending upon year and engine.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/wire-assy-engine-gauge-feed-from-firewall/199210?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dgauge%252Bfeed%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971

I tend to use "quotes" to denote sarcasm online. My use of "modified" is exactly as Midlife described it, as it's been hacked up by a previous owner.

and by the way anyone know  how to wiring the coil? because mine didnt have any wiring on it
The engine has it's own harness that plugs into the main engine compartment harness by the rear of the driver's side valve cover. The link below is an example, yours may be different depending upon year and engine.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/wire-assy-engine-gauge-feed-from-firewall/199210?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dgauge%252Bfeed%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971
i`m sorry but i didn`t see where i can plug it on the picture i send

i`m sorry but i didn`t see where i can plug it on the picture i send

The pic is dark and the wiring is a mess, but it looks like you have one of the two connectors as circled in the picture below. I can't tell, but it looks like that might be the connector for the neutral safety switch/backup lights. The engine connector should be close by and for 71 is usually a flat rubber unit with three or four connections. 

Would you mind telling us what Ron Francis charges for a harness?  Thank you

Its been so long ago I don't remember but, Its a very high quality harness. They will build it to whatever you want option wise. I met them at Sema last year really down to earth folks. Just give them a call and tell them what you want and they normally will quote you on the phone.

Back