Looking for indicator light bracket or panel idea

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I am installing warning lights for low oil and water pressure. These are the QuickCar 61-711 and 61-713. I am looking for ideas on where to mount the warning lights. I have the sending units installed and the wires through the firewall. I want to be as non-destructive as possible of the current dash so I was thinking of a small bracket hanging under the dash left of the steering wheel. However, I am having a hard time finding something out there. I could make it out of an aluminum L bracket but it may not look that neat. I thought it would be easy to find a bracket or something where to mount the lights, but I can't find it. Any ideas?

Tony how about inside of the LH vent

Rig them so they can't be closed all the way

They would easily get your attention if they lit up

You could hold them in the plastic vent with hot melt glue or silicone

Wires would slip in between the ducts joints with no cutting

Tony how about inside of the LH vent

Rig them so they can't be closed all the way

They would easily get your attention if they lit up

You could hold them in the plastic vent with hot melt glue or silicone

Wires would slip in between the ducts joints with no cutting
Interesting idea Don, and non-destructive.

A pic of your interior layout to see what you have now would be helpful.
Here is a pic of how it looks today. A bit messy with all the wires on the floor, but you get the idea. The oil temp gauge under the steering wheel is held by clips so it is movable. An idea was to find a bracket that I can clip to the right of the oil temp gauge under the dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about using two different tone loud buzzers instead of lights. The buzzers could be hidden almost anywhere behind the dash. Just an idea. Chuck

Tony Muscle,

Does your car have a map light?

Boilermaster
Yes, i have a map light.

How about using two different tone loud buzzers instead of lights. The buzzers could be hidden almost anywhere behind the dash. Just an idea. Chuck
Interesting idea. I could have one buzzer activated by either sender since either is a warning that something is wrong and the engine should be turned off. Then I can have the lights hidden somewhere else to know which one is it. I also have a turn signal buzzer but that one is intermittent.

Thank you. Keep the ideas coming.

Something like this may work, but I would prefer for it to be smaller. The aluminum L bracket would work if I can only find a way to make a nice cut and round the edges nicely.

Edit: picture from https://thecustomswitch.com/dual-indicator-light-custom-panel.html

Make a small steel mounting plate and attach it to the metal dash with a small rare earth magnet. Remove it when you don't want it visible and no drilling on anything. Just another idea. Chuck

I'm at work right now and can't see the pics (government proxy server blocks out most image hosting sites), but I wouldn't recommend having anything hanging down from the bottom of the dash on the outward side of the steering column.  

My first car was an '82 Mustang and the electric fan relay went bad (or the temp sensor, or something... not entirely sure), so I hot wired the fan to a switch and placed it hanging down on the bottom of the dashboard outward side of the steering column.  Seemed like a good idea at the time - I just turned on the fan when the temp started climbing (usually in traffic or idling) and shut it off when I shut down the car.  But then one day as I was hopping out of the car, I whacked the toggle switch with my foot and broke off the plastic bit, leaving the thin metal shaft exposed.  Didn't think much about that until a few days later: I was getting in or out and raked my shin across the exposed metal shaft, which of course was a nice cut that stung for days - still have a nice scar from that to this day.  After that, I opened the hole up properly and installed an illuminated rocker switch, which lit up when I turned on the fan.  After leaving the switch on and killing my battery one day, I rewired to a keyed power source.

I suspect that's probably also the same reason why so many factory defroster and 'vert top switches are snapped off (people not paying attention getting in and out and hitting that area with their legs or feet).

What about putting a small simple red LED above the oil pressure and temp gauges in the center gauge cluster.  Get some of the smaller ones and unless you're really paying attention, would barely notice them unless they're lit.  (it sounds like you might not have a center gauge cluster though, considering you have an oil pressure gauge hanging under the dash already - again, can't see the pics)

I'm at work right now and can't see the pics (government proxy server blocks out most image hosting sites), but I wouldn't recommend having anything hanging down from the bottom of the dash on the outward side of the steering column.  

My first car was an '82 Mustang and the electric fan relay went bad (or the temp sensor, or something... not entirely sure), so I hot wired the fan to a switch and placed it hanging down on the bottom of the dashboard outward side of the steering column.  Seemed like a good idea at the time - I just turned on the fan when the temp started climbing (usually in traffic or idling) and shut it off when I shut down the car.  But then one day as I was hopping out of the car, I whacked the toggle switch with my foot and broke off the plastic bit, leaving the thin metal shaft exposed.  Didn't think much about that until a few days later: I was getting in or out and raked my shin across the exposed metal shaft, which of course was a nice cut that stung for days - still have a nice scar from that to this day.  After that, I opened the hole up properly and installed an illuminated rocker switch, which lit up when I turned on the fan.  After leaving the switch on and killing my battery one day, I rewired to a keyed power source.

I suspect that's probably also the same reason why so many factory defroster and 'vert top switches are snapped off (people not paying attention getting in and out and hitting that area with their legs or feet).

What about putting a small simple red LED above the oil pressure and temp gauges in the center gauge cluster.  Get some of the smaller ones and unless you're really paying attention, would barely notice them unless they're lit.  (it sounds like you might not have a center gauge cluster though, considering you have an oil pressure gauge hanging under the dash already - again, can't see the pics)
I do have the gauge cluster. The gauge hanging under the dash is for oil temperature. It is held by clips so if I hit it by mistake it just falls so no biggie there.

I like the idea of smaller LEDs, which I won't see, but if I combine that with the buzzer idea for both lights connected through diodes it may do the trick. I don't know if I want to locate the LEDs on the gauge cluster, but I can find a more hidden place since I will only look at them if I hear the buzzer.

Another option is the plastic piece that wraps around the steering column where it goes through the dash. Is this piece reproduced? It will be easy to drill the light holes on it.

A annoying problem with the buzzer is that it will buzz when if the ignition is on and the engine is off, like when starting.

I am installing warning lights for low oil and water pressure. These are the QuickCar 61-711 and 61-713. I am looking for ideas on where to mount the warning lights. I have the sending units installed and the wires through the firewall. I want to be as non-destructive as possible of the current dash so I was thinking of a small bracket hanging under the dash left of the steering wheel. However, I am having a hard time finding something out there. I could make it out of an aluminum L bracket but it may not look that neat. I thought it would be easy to find a bracket or something where to mount the lights, but I can't find it. Any ideas?

Whaddaya mean by "water pressure"?

The lights are much better than gauges for sure. When I went to the Seat Time driving school at Charlotte speedway they had huge red light right in the center in front of you for oil pressure. You do not have time to look at gauges when on the track. If the oil pressure fails light on then you look over at the gauge. For temp they run the radiator discharge up to the bottom right of windshield so if the radiator over heats the steam comes out and you see for sure. Then you check gauge.

I like the one idea of the magnet to attach. You could also make a small bracket and use one or two of the screws at the top of the dash holding pad / cluster in. Could also use one of the 3-M picture hanging stickers that pull off with no damage. Maybe run wires up behind A post cover and use 3-M hanger to stick on the A post cover. No holes or cutting.

I will be checking into getting what you have for sure. The gauges in center are for sure not the best idea but look cool, lol.

Thanks for posting.

How about the flat piece of the radio bezel above the radio?

That piece is reproduced, so get one (or a used one) and put two downward facing LEDs in there aligned under the appropriate gauges. You would glance at your gauges/clock/radio as part of your scan but a bright glow may catch your periphery vision quicker. 

Whaddaya mean by "water pressure"?
If for some reason you have a broken hose or you lose water, your temperature sender will not pick it up since it will be in contact with air. Therefore, if the water pressure is lost it is then a good indicator that your system has no water or it is low in water. The sender is set to go off at 4psi of pressure.

The lights are much better than gauges for sure. When I went to the Seat Time driving school at Charlotte speedway they had huge red light right in the center in front of you for oil pressure. You do not have time to look at gauges when on the track. If the oil pressure fails light on then you look over at the gauge. For temp they run the radiator discharge up to the bottom right of windshield so if the radiator over heats the steam comes out and you see for sure. Then you check gauge.

I like the one idea of the magnet to attach. You could also make a small bracket and use one or two of the screws at the top of the dash holding pad / cluster in. Could also use one of the 3-M picture hanging stickers that pull off with no damage. Maybe run wires up behind A post cover and use 3-M hanger to stick on the A post cover. No holes or cutting.

I will be checking into getting what you have for sure. The gauges in center are for sure not the best idea but look cool, lol.

Thanks for posting.
Not a bad idea to have it on the A-pillar cover - just like a race car with gauges in the A-pillar. I don't think they repro this one so it will have to be non-destructive, but since it is a very visible area, it will have to look good. One more alternative to think about.

How about the flat piece of the radio bezel above the radio?

That piece is reproduced, so get one (or a used one) and put two downward facing LEDs in there aligned under the appropriate gauges. You would glance at your gauges/clock/radio as part of your scan but a bright glow may catch your periphery vision quicker. 
Another good idea to think about.

Thank you guys. Keep it coming. Now I have 3-4 options to chose from.

Another option is the plastic piece that wraps around the steering column where it goes through the dash. Is this piece reproduced? It will be easy to drill the light holes on it.

A annoying problem with the buzzer is that it will buzz when if the ignition is on and the engine is off, like when starting.
I was just thinking that there's a pretty good spot in the area between the steering column and fuel gauge.  Make a small bracket that fits on top of the plastic steering column filler piece to occupy that space, and it would be pretty much is direct line of vision with the tach, speedo, and fuel gauge.

dashrehab7.jpg

I was just thinking that there's a pretty good spot in the area between the steering column and fuel gauge.  Make a small bracket that fits on top of the plastic steering column filler piece to occupy that space, and it would be pretty much is direct line of vision with the tach, speedo, and fuel gauge.
Exactly. I think that's it. Either on that space or off the cover collar. Does anyone have one of those collars for sale? I looked at the collar today and there is about 3/4" space between the periphery of the collar and the steering column. I could fit a small LED in there. I would love to add another LED as a turn signal indicator since I can't see the arrow indicators due to the steering wheel being smaller.

Back