1:18 scale model of 1971 convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Induced by lastfairlane´s quest for a scale model of our favorite convertible, I decided to share this with you guys.

AFAIK there is currently no such model available, but I do have one! I found it on Ebay a few years ago. Somebody in Germany with bigger skills than me had converted a 1971 Fastback into a ragtop which he was selling right at the time when mine was undergoing restoration and awaiting her yellow paint. So you can imagine my surprise when I found this model in bright yellow. I immediately placed a ridiculously high bid, so I was sure to win it.

It was a typical no brainer!

Unfortunately the guy decided to lift the rear of the car to get that street machine look which cannot be easily reversed, but I bought it anyway. Hey beggars ain´t choosers when it comes to convertible scale models.

Maybe one of these days I´ll get me a new Fastback and use that "chassis" to get this one back to the original stance, but I´m no modeler.

Here are the pics:

Enjoy.

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

The fastback one I have looks smaller and has no back seat. I think it is smaller than 1:18 .

I wonder what they used as a base model? I found some here:

http://www.collectablediecast.com/search.asp?keyword=mustang&sortby=0&page=3&catid=

But all have black interiors and I can't figure out how they finished off the roof line. Can we get more info? The name of the manufacture and some other pics? It looks like the boot is a little longer than you would find on a 'real' convert.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fastback one I have looks smaller and has no back seat. I think it is smaller than 1:18 .

http://www.collectablediecast.com/search.asp?keyword=mustang&sortby=0&page=3&catid=

But all have black interiors and I can't figure out how they finished off the roof line. Can we get more info? The name of the manufacture and some other pics? It looks like the boot is a little longer than you would find on a 'real' convert.
I´ll check into that and report it here, but given that the car has a "urethane" bumper, I´d guess it was a Mach 1. The model looks big on the pics because of the wide focus lens.

The trunk area had to be completely remodeled, so I guess it might be a little out of proportion, but I still think it is pretty cool and the skill that went into it is amazing.

Of course it also lacks the trim moldings that go around the opening for the top.

The interior was black when I got it, I painted it white to match my car.

I´ll check into that and report it here, but given that the car has a "urethane" bumper, I´d guess it was a Mach 1. The model looks big on the pics because of the wide focus lens.

The trunk area had to be completely remodeled, so I guess it might be a little out of proportion, but I still think it is pretty cool and the skill that went into it is amazing.

Of course it also lacks the trim moldings that go around the opening for the top.

The interior was black when I got it, I painted it white to match my car.
I was wondering which brand model it was. I figured it was a Mach 1. I am guessing, looking at the hood locks, the nasa hood and the antenee that it is the SunStar version.

It is just about the coolest thing around and I find myself a little obsessed with the idea. :)

I would love to have one that looks like mine. I even have some of the blue paint left over from when I painted it.....

Back