Mex Shelby for sale, very unusual

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
I have a 73 Mex Mach 1.  I've never seen another one for sale.  I stumbled across this 72 Mex Shelby today.  I have no interest in the car, I just thought it was interesting because its the only Mex 71-73 I have ever seen for sale

https://binghamton.craigslist.org/cto/d/binghamton-1972-ford-mustang-gt-351/7095863104.html
I emailed the gentleman to see just how much he is asking. If he answers I will let everyone know. Thanks for posting the link. Always fun to look see.

Ad says he wants 24999.00    :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ad says he wants 24999.00    :whistling:
Yeah........... I meant his real price  :chin:

Is it me, or do just about all of these cars in rough shape ('71-'73 Mustangs) seem to have damage to the front corners of the fenders?   :whistling:

I did get a hold of the stang seller. Posted below is his reply.............. good luck buyers.

craigslist 7095863104

2:49 PM (1 hour ago)

to 08d1612f0c4335c38b5bec07408175cb

It has 302 4v engine i would consider 22k. I have owned 65 66 67 68 Shelby and 3 Boss 302 s and 2 Boss 351 s but i am 87 years old and ant doit anymore. I also have 67 mustang 351c dragcar for sale

Is it me, or do just about all of these cars in rough shape ('71-'73 Mustangs) seem to have damage to the front corners of the fenders?   :whistling:
I see a lot of that on the original front fender, passenger side. Picture shows the paint cracking from filler under it.

Being from the tool and die industry I have seen where it was cheaper to continue to run the die rather than fix it. Especially if it was almost the end of the run for that part.

Then they just use more filler on the car to fix the imperfection. I was called to Detroit lines several times due to someone running the die over with a bolt between the die. I honestly think they just wanted to go home or was pissed at there boss's. When I got there from 4 towns away I would scramble to weld it up, grind it in to get the shut height correct. Then polish it as fast as I could and get the die running again.

It amazes me that people see value in the Shelby failures. He failed at everything he tried. Ford dropped him in 66 and built in house. He tried the Europe models and mexican and they flopped. But somehow he gets praise for his failures. Talk to Gale Halderman about what he did on the Mustang. Nothing either Ford or Holman & Moody. Same for the GT-40. He was like professional wrestling all fake. Shelby road everyones coat tails and how I do not know. Shelby was a fraud and nobody can show otherwise.

I like the second pic in the CL ad, showing a '65 GT350 selling for $295K at Barrett-Jackson. Same car being sold in the ad, right? ;)

It amazes me that people see value in the Shelby failures. He failed at everything he tried. Ford dropped him in 66 and built in house. He tried the Europe models and mexican and they flopped. But somehow he gets praise for his failures. Talk to Gale Halderman about what he did on the Mustang. Nothing either Ford or Holman & Moody. Same for the GT-40. He was like professional wrestling all fake. Shelby road everyones coat tails and how I do not know. Shelby was a fraud and nobody can show otherwise.
Blows my mind too. Shelby is truly the embodiment of "fake it 'til you make it" (or don't). There was some alluding to that in the recent documentaries and movies. Did he do some incredible stuff - yes. Did he leave us with some cool cars and an interesting legacy - yes. However, he's not the automotive messiah that many make him out to be. 

I lost all respect for the guy when it came out that his foundation barely paid out anything in grants to those it was set up to help. I look at those signed glove box doors the same as when I drive by a house with a "Renewal by Andersen" sign out front, all I can think is "you got screwed".

The Shelby VIN was completely separate, and the Shelby VIN plate was riveted over the top of the original Ford VIN. This is for a 1967, I don't know how the Euro or Mex Shelby's were VIN-ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the second pic in the CL ad, showing a '65 GT350 selling for $295K at Barrett-Jackson.  Same car being sold in the ad, right?  ;)
I wondered what that car had to do with the one for sale  :chin:
That pic is trying to trick your mind into thinking you're getting a $295K car for the value price of $22K.  lol

I see a lot of that on the original front fender, passenger side. Picture shows the paint cracking from filler under it.

Being from the tool and die industry I have seen where it was cheaper to continue to run the die rather than fix it. Especially if it was almost the end of the run for that part.

Then they just use more filler on the car to fix the imperfection. I was called to Detroit lines several times due to someone running the die over with a bolt between the die. I honestly think they just wanted to go home or was pissed at there boss's. When I got there from 4 towns away I would scramble to weld it up, grind it in to get the shut height correct. Then polish it as fast as I could and get the die running again.
I was thinking that it looks like it's more front end damage because a driver along the way couldn't fathom that it's over 9 feet from the tip of their nose to the bumper. ;)

But, I get your sentiment - makes sense.  ::thumb::

Back