VIN and Door Tag

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Signed up for the new Registry tonight and just realized that my door tag is missing a "letter" that my VIN has.

The door tag is missing an "F" between the the second "3" and the "1".

Should both of them be the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it should have it and they should be the same. Whoever typed it in must have had one too many the night before.

You can get a correct one from Marti.

Yes, it should have it and they should be the same. Whoever typed it in must have had one too many the night before.

You can get a correct one from Marti.

Interesting as it looks original. Wonder if it could be an error from the factory.?

I have a Marti report and will pull it out of my mustang file in the morning.

Thanks

I might be wrong but I think the door tags were made by the same punch cards that printed the build sheets, VIN tags and what Marti uses to do the reports.

I did not let the dealer prep my car and the punch cards were in the floor. I of course put them up and cannot find.

That sticker might be one that Osborne made years ago. For sure the fonts are not right.

Very interesting as the Mustang was restored in 1990 and I'm sure the PC ability wasn't there to create a copy.

Maybe i'm wrong.

I'll dig the Marti report out later to see what that shows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also just emailed the 2nd owner who had the Mustang from 1987 to 2001. He restored her and might know the answer.

In the meantime until I hear fro the 2nd owner. Here's the invoice of the Mustang showing the proper VIN with the 2nd F.

At least I can say, is that I received a ton of paperwork when I bought the Mustang 7 years ago.

Owning a Mustang is never boring.

I just reached out to Cutter Ford, North Hollywood, Ca (Now Sunrise Ford) if they're interested is seeing any doc's that I have on my Mustang.

I also have the original build sheet plus what I think is a copy of the 1st owners Cal license plate.

So the 2nd owner got back to me.

When he purchased the Mustang in 1987 there was no door tag. He found another Mustang in a junkyard and copied what he could to make my door tag, but didn't make it perfect as he didn't want to pass it off as factory.

So now I have my answer.

It's amazing the history behind my Mustang that I have as it goes back to when it was brand new. Like while it was bought by a Ford dealer, the Mustang was delivered to Avis and was a loaner for some time. before being sold to it's true first owner.

Thank you.

Back