Looking to add a distribution block

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
My starter relay stud has five wires landing on it, It looks horrible, and won't allow the nut to be placed on the stud and tightened.

I have installed a DB mini starter. Based on the included starter wiring diagram, the battery cable and the cable to the starter are placed on the same stud. If I am not mistaken, from the wiring harness I would be attaching the yellow #10 wire, the black w/ orange strip wire, and the lead from the alternator to the same stud.

The opposite stud on the solenoid only has only a small red wire from it to the starter solenoid that is built onto the starter.

I would like to add a small distribution block to alleviate this mess. My thought was to have the battery cable run to the starter solenoid. From the same stud the battery cable terminates on I would would run a short jumper cable to a distribution block. From the distribution block, a cable to the starter, the two wires from the wire harness, and the lead from the alternator. I would need a minimum of a four post distribution block.

Before doing so, I would like to ask a few questions.

1, Is there any reason not to run the starter cable off the distribution block?

2.What amperage rating distribution block would I need to look for if I can take the lead from the distribution block to the starter?

If anyone has photos of an install they have done I would enjoy seeing them.

thanks.

Klinton 994,

How about the old ford starter repair stud repair ?

I see they are available in both fine and coarse thread for about $6.00 ea.

I do not know the length of the male end, but surely longer than the standard starter relay lugs.

any parts store or tractor parts supply house should have them or easily get one for you.

Boilermaster

You could just use the factory style block, no need for multiple posts. You small jumper to the block and move things around 'til it fits well. No real reason to not move the starter cable, but if you don't need to, I would leave it on the post with the battery cable.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/block-assy-junction-correct-style-repro/174686?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dterminal%252Bblock%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971
Thanks for the idea. I may try that, or possible a longer solenoid stud.

Klinton 994,

I do not know the length of the male end, but surely longer than the standard starter relay lugs.

any parts store or tractor parts supply house should have them or easily get one for you.

Boilermaster
I looked up the starter repair stud and found a solenoid stud that appears to screw onto the existing stud. I may give this a try. Thanks.

Klinton 994,

Boilermaster
I looked up the starter repair stud and found a solenoid stud that appears to screw onto the existing stud. I may give this a try. Thanks.
I didn't think one could have the words "screw" and "stud" in the same sentence without at least someone commenting, so I fulfilled my duty. :thankyouyellow:

Klinton 994,

Boilermaster
I didn't think one could have the words "screw" and "stud" in the same sentence without at least someone commenting, so I fulfilled my duty. :thankyouyellow:
::thumb::

Back