LED headlight question

MustangNJ

has anyone installed a set of replacement headlights like this? or have a batter recommendation. I want to replace the entire light bucket, not the bulb

https://www.cjponyparts.com/led-headlight-7-high-powered-with-led-light-bar-pair-1964-1968-1970-1973/p/HLA203/?year=1965&gclid=CjwKCAjw7LX0BRBiEiwA__gNw7Jh9erxrFNfPzQMYv-3nzFQR7YM6Aq5RrH5onhIChB7CqKOBzmGixoCADMQAvD_BwE

also, if you follow that link to the pics, there is a standard H4 connector, and a separate single prong plug. what is that single plug for? brights dimmer switch?

thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The extra wire....

"Please Note: This LED light bar requires additional wiring."

My guess anyhow.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Dont go anywhere near CJPP. $329!!! what a joke. I got mine off ebay for less than $100 and love them. They are a direct plug in. And you can wire them up so the halo light runs with your running lights and hook up your turn signal to the halo and it will flash orange. They made a world of difference in visibility at night. The only thing i added was a LED compatible flasher, it was a direct replacement for our stock ones behind glove box. I really like being able to run the turn signals through the halos because ours are pretty hard to see under the bumper.

Here is a link to a thread that shows a few pics of mine..... https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-headlight-switch-again?highlight=led+headlights

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

The extra wire....

"Please Note: This LED light bar requires additional wiring."

My guess anyhow.

I bought them direct from United Pacific. Tried the "jeep style" LEDs, looked cool but weren't great for me. Make sure you get some in line resistors if you are adding other led/plasma bulbs elsewhere. Spliced into my keyed powers so the run when the car is "on". Driving light is bright (very much like new Volvos'), work great inIMG-8591.jpg

IMG-8590.jpg the Florida sunshine.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/Wisamic-Motorcycle-Headlight-Compatible-Fatboy-Black/dp/B01M63N6PJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2LBUFZID0TFYH&dchild=1&keywords=wisamic+led+headlight&qid=1588479421&s=automotive&sprefix=wisamic%2Cautomotive%2C332&sr=1-3

These are plug and play. Very reasonable price. Don't look stock is the only drawback. I love the look, personally..78b3d5c361e56d630aee7106c2829c3a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dont go anywhere near  CJPP. $329!!! what a joke.  I got mine off ebay for less than $100 and love them. They are a direct plug in. And you can wire them up so the halo light runs with your running lights  and hook up your turn signal to the halo and it will flash orange.  They made a world of difference in visibility at night. The only thing i added was a LED compatible flasher, it was a direct replacement for our stock ones behind glove box.  I really like being able to run the turn signals through the halos because ours are pretty hard to see under the bumper.

Here is a link to a thread that shows a few pics of mine.....  https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-headlight-switch-again?highlight=led+headlights

Whats the chance you could give us a Ebay item #??  I certainly would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

Dont go anywhere near  CJPP. $329!!! what a joke.  I got mine off ebay for less than $100 and love them. They are a direct plug in. And you can wire them up so the halo light runs with your running lights  and hook up your turn signal to the halo and it will flash orange.  They made a world of difference in visibility at night. The only thing i added was a LED compatible flasher, it was a direct replacement for our stock ones behind glove box.  I really like being able to run the turn signals through the halos because ours are pretty hard to see under the bumper.

Here is a link to a thread that shows a few pics of mine.....  https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-headlight-switch-again?highlight=led+headlights

Whats the chance you could give us a Ebay item #??  I certainly would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

Its in the other thread, i will copy and paste it below.  I really like them. My buddy put them on his car too.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-7inch-Round-LED-Headlight-With-Halo-Angle-Eyes-For-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-LJ-TJ/192621207975

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

Also forgot to mention, they are pretty tough!! Took a direct hit and still work.  :D

88970-BE8-B4-E0-466-E-A5-D4-957-DDA07-CFB9.jpg

41263-DC1-C03-A-4990-911-C-23393930-CE45.jpg

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

thanks guys. I ordered the ones off of Ebay. I can use the $250 savings to add shelby style round aux lights now....as soon as I can figure out how to mount them to the grill.

I'll drop this here even though I'm late to the party.

A member on FB put these in his car, says they are DOT/SAE compliant and have a nice beam spread that doesn't blind oncoming drivers. $80 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079282L81/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_G9ZIEbBT87CK7?fbclid=IwAR1np94TYte7u1Bx7EAuEDBuqVW3-55ne-mdenjk-QjBmz7dLaEslJo0QrU

• 3 weeks later...

so yesterday I had a few spare minutes and figured I'd swap out the headlights for the new LEDs. hahahaha....few extra minutes....I should know better. So after I removed the wood screws holding in the headlight bezels, I started to pull the light bucket forward to reach the H4 plug, no slack in the wiring. so pop the hood to take a look......no H4 plugs at all. current lights are spliced into the wiring harness with electrical tape. project for another day. I'll prob replace the entire headlight harness. it doesn't make sense to install new stuff connected to crap.

• 4 weeks later...

finally got the LED's installed. they are the inexpensive Ebay ones, work great.  it was raining when I took the pics, but you get the idea. next up: windshield wipers. autozone claims to have them in stock. we will see.....

headlights.jpg

headlights2.jpg

headlights3.jpg

• Like 1

has anyone installed a set of replacement headlights like this? or have a batter recommendation. I want to replace the entire light bucket, not the bulb

https://www.cjponyparts.com/led-headlight-7-high-powered-with-led-light-bar-pair-1964-1968-1970-1973/p/HLA203/?year=1965&gclid=CjwKCAjw7LX0BRBiEiwA__gNw7Jh9erxrFNfPzQMYv-3nzFQR7YM6Aq5RrH5onhIChB7CqKOBzmGixoCADMQAvD_BwE

also, if you follow that link to the pics, there is a standard H4 connector, and a separate single prong plug. what is that single plug for? brights dimmer switch?

thanks

If you have a standard H4 connector with a separate single prong plug, said single plug is for a parking light that is built into the headlight! My car had that as well since it was driven overseas.

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

I had an extra dongle that I could have connected to the indicator lights so the outer ring of the headlight would blink. I don't care for that "feature", so I didn't connect it. I think it also could have been connected to parking lights, but I opted not to do that as well. what I do need to fix is activating the buzzer that tells you the lights are left on when you turn the key off.

thanks

I'm not a big fan of modern LED lights on old cars - just looks a little too weird to me for some reason... my opinion, of course.  At the end of the day, it's all about being able to see at night, and I'm guessing the newer systems do a great job of lighting up the road and pissing off oncoming traffic (aside from the absolute ebay junk - lots of 'JDM' stuff out there falls into that category).

However, I kinda like the way those look.  They look stockish for the most part, and the LED isn't overstated, like some of the others out there.

Too bad CJPP is so proud of 'em.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I install LEDs in all my classic cars so I can see. its not a style thing.

• Like 1

Ya know, if someone has taken the time to install a new product on their car and they're not asking for opinions of whether people like them or not, I don't really understand why some people would take the time to explain why they don't like that kind of product. I was always taught that if you've got nothing good to say then keep it shut...just my opinion.

• Like 1

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic! ::thumb::

Ya know, if someone has taken the time to install a new product on their car and they're not asking for opinions of whether people like them or not, I don't really understand why some people would take the time to explain why they don't like that kind of product. I was always taught that if you've got nothing good to say then keep it shut...just my opinion.

+1!!!!!!!

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

+1!!!!!!!

Well, my opinion is that if either of you valued reading comprehension above the basic need to find a way of twisting something I've said into something negative to nit-pick, you would realize that I actually complimented his choice of LED lights.  My comment of 'junk,' was referring to a cheap set of ebay JDM driving lights I mistakenly purchased years ago for my Honda Civic - which sucked, BTW. 

I think it might be time to try a new strategy: either grow, or shut, TF up.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Why is it when someone calls you out on your comments you get all bent out of shape? Maybe you should "either grow, or shut, TF up" In your words of course. ;)

• Like 1

- Jason

Why is it when someone calls you out on your comments you get all bent out of shape? Maybe you should "either grow, or shut, TF up" In your words of course. ;)

I only push back when there's a trend for certain individuals calling things out when there's nothing to call out.  There's a history with certain individuals, I've said nothing wrong, and I'm not bent out of shape... but, I'm also not rolling over, either.  You've decided to jump on that band-wagon because we had a disagreement a few weeks back (which neither of us were anywhere close to the actual issue, BTW) and you got all butt-hurt about it when I asked for us to move past the tension.  So, pile on if you like.

This is an internet forum.  People have opinions, as well as people have different writing styles that don't always translate across the same for everybody.  Nobody's opinions are any less valuable than the next guy's.  Without people sharing those opinions, there wouldn't be much content to read.  Don't like someone's opinion, fine.  If they don't happen to like yours, so be it - usually, people are going to just ignore it and move on.  If someone doesn't like someone else's opinion enough to take a swipe at them, well... they can usually expect the same in return.  If/when it gets ugly, the moderators will step in and all parties involved will get warnings... over what?!  Someone's misinterpretation of a comment because they don't 'like someone' (or writing style, more like).

If there's an actual problem, let's resolve it (PM me if you like... I'm not going anywhere).  If not, quit playing these stupid games.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

+1!!!!!!!

Well, my opinion is that if either of you valued reading comprehension above the basic need to find a way of twisting something I've said into something negative to nit-pick, you would realize that I actually complimented his choice of LED lights.  My comment of 'junk,' was referring to a cheap set of ebay JDM driving lights I mistakenly purchased years ago for my Honda Civic - which sucked, BTW. 

Eric, (Mister 4x4) I've told you before, I don't dislike you.  I truly believe you never mean to be an ass, you just are. I would suggest that prior to clicking on that "post reply" button you should ask yourself one question…"will this post make the person feel good about him/herself and/or their decisions they've made regarding projects they've done on their car. If the answer is "no" or "I'm not sure" then you should reconsider giving your opinion. When someone does something to their car and posts it up, they're not looking for others to tell them why they don't like it. We should encourage others or keep our opinions to ourselves (especially when they're not asking for your opinion) When you give your unsolicited "Nancy-negative-opinion" and then wrap it up with, "However, I kinda like they way those look..."   You remind me of Rodney in Caddyshack…"you buy a hat (LED's, Magnum 500 Stealth Rims, etc) like this, I bet you get a free bowl of soup…Ohhh, but it looks good on you!" Some people never cease to amaze…

I believe you offend people with your...I'll use your words..."writing style." I have noticed how people respond to your "writing style." Noticing how others feel is called empathy. You speak of my trend in calling you out. My trend would not exist without yours. I do believe blaming your perceived negativism on your "writing style" is actually deflection. This is a way of separating yourself from accountability for your actions. Maybe you should talk to someone about this. I'd imagine I am not the only one who has noticed this about you. 

You are a huge contributor to this site and are of great value to it. It is a shame because you could be so much more. Just ask yourself that question I mentioned at the beginning of my reply...BEFORE clicking on "post reply."

• Like 1

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic! ::thumb::

+1!!!!!!!

Eric, (Mister 4x4) I've told you before, I don't dislike you.  I truly believe you never mean to be an ass, you just are. I would suggest that prior to clicking on that "post reply" button you should ask yourself one question…"will this post make the person feel good about him/herself and/or their decisions they've made regarding projects they've done on their car. If the answer is "no" or "I'm not sure" then you should reconsider giving your opinion. When someone does something to their car and posts it up, they're not looking for others to tell them why they don't like it. We should encourage others or keep our opinions to ourselves (especially when they're not asking for your opinion) When you give your unsolicited "Nancy-negative-opinion" and then wrap it up with, "However, I kinda like they way those look..."   You remind me of Rodney in Caddyshack…"you buy a hat (LED's, Magnum 500 Stealth Rims, etc) like this, I bet you get a free bowl of soup…Ohhh, but it looks good on you!" Some people never cease to amaze…

I believe you offend people with your...I'll use your words..."writing style." I have noticed how people respond to your "writing style." Noticing how others feel is called empathy. You speak of my trend in calling you out. My trend would not exist without yours. I do believe blaming your perceived negativism on your "writing style" is actually deflection. This is a way of separating yourself from accountability for your actions. Maybe you should talk to someone about this. I'd imagine I am not the only one who has noticed this about you. 

You are a huge contributor to this site and are of great value to it. It is a shame because you could be so much more. Just ask yourself that question I mentioned at the beginning of my reply...BEFORE clicking on "post reply."

Hey.......My name is Rodney :-(   

Guys you both contribute a bunch to folks, in need, on this sight. Please Stop this bickering. I value both of your opinions but feel Im loosing some of that high respect I have of you guys.

I didnt have to say anything, easier to just shut the screen off. But it is important to me and others that this stops. There must be neutral ground here somewhere?  For some folks the world is being totally unfair to them right now. The ability to have this forum as a retreat from the madness of the world is precious to most of us 71-73 lovers.

Thanks for at least considering my thoughts.

• Like 2

opinion,[/b] of course.  At the end of the day, it's all about being able to see at night, and I'm guessing the newer systems do a great job of lighting up the road and pissing off oncoming traffic (aside from the absolute ebay junk - lots of 'JDM' stuff out there falls into that category).

However, I kinda like the way those look.  They look stockish for the most part, and the LED isn't overstated, like some of the others out there.

Too bad CJPP is so proud of 'em. QUOTE]

Wow, just read this thread and had to go back to re-read several times, maybe I missed something  but to me I came  away with this:

"I like to keep classic cars looking how they were when made, many modern lights are not my style but the lights in question actually look good".  And I agree they do look good, hope no one is offended by me saying they look good, I may even consider them for my car as I live in the mountains and it is DARK up here.

• Like 3