Plastic front wing to cowl fittings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that's them, I had no idea what to call them?

I'm not exactly sure what they are supposed to do? Weather they just make the end of the wing look more finished or weather they are for rainwater protection?

Yes that's them, I had no idea what to call them?

I'm not exactly sure what they are supposed to do?  Weather they just make the end of the wing look more finished or weather they are for rainwater protection?
I really have no idea either. I don't think 72/73's had anything in there place. I don't remember what my 72 had. If I find a picture of that car's engine bay, I might be able to see and let you know.

Stay tuned.

They are officially called leaf guards.  They are supposed to keep leaves & such from falling down between the fender and cowl/door support.
 well they obviously didn't work too well as they were only on 71's.

Thanks for the heads up on the name.

Mmmm, leaf guards.  OK Who's got a 3D printer and want's to make a few ? :)
Here is a 2nd order for them thar non working leaf guards  :-/ . I have a set on my 71 that might be good enough for 3d copy. If they worked I wouldnt have had to replace my cowl.

There is a couple more pieces in that area I learned the other day are unique to 71 model. There was a chrome or aluminum trim on the rear of the hood and rear edges of the fender up near the A post. I had never seen them and someone posted on a facebook page and had the ford parts book exploded view showing them and the plastic pieces also.

There is a couple more pieces in that area I learned the other day are unique to 71 model. There was a chrome or aluminum trim on the rear of the hood and rear edges of the fender up near the A post. I had never seen them and someone posted on a facebook page and had the ford parts book exploded view showing them and the plastic pieces also.
 On a Mustang? I too have never seen anything like that, certainly not on any of the 4 I've owned.

Can you get a picture?

i have that trim peace on my 71

For the record, these are not made of plastic but gold. I've seen pairs of these fragile parts go for >100 on e-bay when i was busy cleaning mine.

notice also the plastic plates, they go underneath the front fender extension on top, closing gaps in the metal reinforcement. Missing the driver side, but being flat, they are easy to be reproduced.

plastic-gold.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those small plastic pieces at the upper rear of the fender Ford called a "Front Fender Filler". They were production installed until 6/1/71, after that date they were no longer used. The 71 Cougar also used the same piece, but they can be a difficult find since a lot of them have deteriorated over time, and were not installed for the entire production run.  Part number for the right side is D1ZZ-16570-A (ID# D1ZB-16570-AA,AB,AE) Left side D1ZZ-16571-A (ID# D1ZB-16571-AA,AB,AE). As you can see there were three suffix number changes on the engineering number but the part number never changed. For some reason, Ford continued to use a similar filler at the rear of the front fender for the 72-76 T-Birds.

As David (Carolina_Mountain_Mustang) mentioned, there were also some fender and hood rear moldings Ford used for a very short time in early '71 production. The hood rear molding (D1ZZ-16B918-A) was a push on type with no attaching parts required. All Mustangs and  Cougar XR-7 (65F and 76F) had these moldings installed up to 2/1/71. The upper rear edge of the fenders also had a push on molding but was different between the Mustang and Cougar. The Mustang (Part# left: D1ZZ-16C133-A right: D1ZZ-16C132-A) and Cougar XR-7 (left: D1WY-16C133-A  right: D1WY-16C132-A) were not used after 2/1/71 and can be difficult to find and in good shape.

I have an early build 71 Mach1 (9/21/70) that I acquired in 1981. The hood rear molding was already missing (probably done by PO when the hood was removed for an engine swap) and what was left of the fender rear moldings crumbled when touched. Time was not kind to these moldings.

In the illustration, you can see the 16C132 fender rear molding below the fender rear filler (16570) I have underlined in red.  

For the record, these are not made of plastic but gold. I've seen pairs of these fragile parts go for >100 on e-bay when i was busy cleaning mine.

notice also the plastic plates, they go underneath the front fender extension on top, closing gaps in the metal reinforcement. Missing the driver side, but being flat, they are easy to be reproduced.

plastic-gold.jpg
So looking at this picture, it seems that the picture of the part I posted, is in fact only half of what I should have!   Not sure where all those other bits go?

I will have to investigate!  :cool:  the other parts may still be on the car.

(My car is at a shop having some welding done at the moment so when it comes back I will check).

Back