FMX 3 speed service

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
Hello everyone ...it's Traaaansmission Tiiiiime" 

Oh yes ...I'm about to go into the world as magical and mysterious as a flux capacitor.  :chin:

Rotational input happens at the front .... then magic happens  beyond the bell housing ... then geared rotation is transmitted to the back.    ::shrug::  Darth vader's nut-sack hurls around some fling-wanglers, which rotates the rear wheels. 

Now what I am about to do, (and do forgive me not being a professional auto-box engineer) ..is open the pan, drain the rust... change the filter ... clean the faces between pan and trans housing, replace the gasket, nail the pan back on. Fill with appropriate "F" type, clean gorgeous syrupy cherryade.  :D  voila ...flux capacitor filled  :p

....any booby-traps ... anything wrong with this concept? 

thx guys 

Al

In Howdy Doody theme 

"HEY KIDs .... IT'S TRAAAANSMISSION TIIIME ... it's transmission time, it's transmission time, time for transmission, now is the time..."

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty straightforward to just change fluid/filter. Just clean good and tighten the pan bolts evenly. i prefer the cork gaskets for this vs rubber, but that's just me.

Make sure you don't over or under fill after buttoning back up, I think the FMX is sensitive to fluid level. I try to get within 2 quarts of max capacity and make sure the car is warm before leveling it off.

Make sure you get the correct year filter , There is two different ones

Make sure you get the correct year filter , There is two different ones

That's just the booby trap I needed to hear ... thx ... I'll check  :jawdrop:  

...is it year specific ?  :chin:

One way to I.D , is a brass gauze is the early style , Then they went to a dacron . 67-72, then 73 on seems to be one way to tell 

One way to I.D , is a brass gauze is the early style , Then they went to a dacron . 67-72, then 73 on seems to be one way to tell

One thing I did not see you mention was to also drain the torque converter. You might have to turn engine some to get the plug to show up in the inspection window. Might also check bolts in the converter. I think that gets another couple quarts of fluid out.

When you go back to fill the transmission you cannot get it all back in at one shot since the fluid is out of the converter. Put some in and then start up and get the converter filled they put more in until to correct level.

Hi Guys 

Thanks for this 

I did actually have the job finished... I also did drain said flux capacitor as well.  ::thumb::   

What I didnt need, was drinking a mouthful of the old stuff as the pan emptied it's contents on my head, even though I was being careful and trying to drain from a corner. aaargh !

My T shirt was colored in pinky rusty ...and the taste was not Château Haut Brion 1982.  :whistling: 

the filter was correct and the gaskety thing was perfect. 

Apart from being bathed in the stuff, I was happy ...  I think my car is happy too. 

thanks guys  :D

Good to hear that everything went well, I always seem to get trans fluid all over when I do that job. With mine, I will probably install a drain plug in the pan when I am at that point.

Tom

Hi Guys 

Thanks for this 

I did actually have the job finished... I also did drain said flux capacitor as well.  ::thumb::   

What I didnt need, was drinking a mouthful of the old stuff as the pan emptied it's contents on my head, even though I was being careful and trying to drain from a corner. aaargh !

My T shirt was colored in pinky rusty ...and the taste was not Château Haut Brion 1982.  :whistling: 

the filter was correct and the gaskety thing was perfect. 

Apart from being bathed in the stuff, I was happy ...  I think my car is happy too. 

thanks guys  :D
Consider yourself well lubricated.

Good to hear that everything went well, I always seem to get trans fluid all over when I do that job.  With mine, I will probably install a drain plug in the pan when I am at that point.

Tom
An interesting point, Tom.  :chin:

I wanted to get an upgrade - perhaps in aluminium - with a drain already machined into it, on purpose by someone who knows what they are doing. 

There are thousands for the C4, C6 and any other transmission out there ... BUT ...nada, zip, zero for FMX  :mad:

why ...wtf ? :mad: ...why are FMX users considered to be lower than lepers?  :-/

What did they do ? ... did they try counting the holes in a FMX pan and say " I cant count to f**king 14 so I'll not make one " ...  :p

Good to hear that everything went well, I always seem to get trans fluid all over when I do that job.  With mine, I will probably install a drain plug in the pan when I am at that point.

Tom

I wanted to get an upgrade - perhaps in aluminium - with a drain already machined into it, on purpose by someone who knows what they are doing. 

There are thousands for the C4, C6 and any other transmission out there ... BUT ...nada, zip, zero for FMX  :mad:

why ...wtf ? :mad: ...why are FMX users considered to be lower than lepers?  :-/

What did they do ? ... did they try counting the holes in a FMX pan and say " I cant count to f**king 14 so I'll not make one " ...  :p
1sostatic you nailed it.

The poor FMX owners are starving, while the C4 and C6 owners can make the most of it. :mad:

Is there anyone out there with ties to an aluminum caster that you could warm to such an idea? :whistling:

Frank

Tom

Well count me as one of the team with an FMX brother. I have added the drain plug to most of my other vehicles and never had a leak, after I finish my engine work, next is the transmission, I will do a thread on adding the plug, it's really not hard at all but I will take lots of pics for it.

Tom

Tom
 Good idea

DSCN4409 (2).JPG

Don't mean to hijack this but I used to have a drain plug in my C4 pan but over time started to leak. Now I installed a deeper pan without a drain plug and no leaks. It's no fun changing the fluid and you will get it all over. So next time she's due for a fluid change I will pay a shop to do it!

Back