heat riser tube +

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
I am starting to turn my attention to my engine bay clean up.  While not worrying about concours I do want my engine bay to look clean and somewhat period. My current ram air air cleaner does not have a snorkel, I did source one via fleabay but not sure if I want to put it on, if not perhaps a blocking plate for that opening.   I am in Georgia and will not be doing much cold weather driving.  The part that sits on the outside of the exhaust manifold then sends up heat thru a tube to the air cleaner, can I remove that from the exhaust manifold for a cleaner look?  Do I need that heat riser to the air cleaner?  Also I guess I need to re-hook up the fuel vapor canister to the air cleaner, currently the tube was cut down and just left open in the engine bay, any other options with it?

If you got a snorkel, then why not put it on? The air cleaner will look unfinished and you can’t block that part off. You need air coming in there. You don’t need the heat riser. It has nothing to do with cold weather driving, it’s for help with warming the carb when engine is cold. I have headers and there’s no way to connect it, but even when I had regular exhaust manifolds on I didn’t use it.

Just connect the fuel vapor line back the way it’s supposed to be. Why do you want to change it?

Here’s a pic of my engine. It’s a most stock look, but my engine has been rebuilt and is far from stock.

I think it looks nice but if I removed the air cleaner snorkel it would look kinda half-ass in my opinion. You can’t really notice to much that the heat riser tube is not there.

I am starting to turn my attention to my engine bay clean up.  While not worrying about concours I do want my engine bay to look clean and somewhat period. My current ram air air cleaner does not have a snorkel, I did source one via fleabay but not sure if I want to put it on, if not perhaps a blocking plate for that opening.   I am in Georgia and will not be doing much cold weather driving.  The part that sits on the outside of the exhaust manifold then sends up heat thru a tube to the air cleaner, can I remove that from the exhaust manifold for a cleaner look?  Do I need that heat riser to the air cleaner?  Also I guess I need to re-hook up the fuel vapor canister to the air cleaner, currently the tube was cut down and just left open in the engine bay, any other options with it?
 So, if you want it to look somewhat period, then you ought to have the inlet tube (snorkel) on it. If you block off the hole, how are you going to get air in? As for the heat shield (manifold cover) no you may not need it except for looking right. For the vapor canister 3/4" tube, that too ought to be connected. You should be able to buy a 3' length of aluminum tube from Napa, cut to length and paint flat black. If you want to get really fancy, paint with a textured paint first, any color, then black.

Here's a couple of pics of my engine bay, not concours, but "correct appearing to the casual observer" 

canister vent tube, textured and painted to look like original tube.https://ibb.co/FXrxV03

this engine is not ram air, but the detail is where it needs to be.

If you block off the opening for the snorkel you will not have any place for air to come in except at full throttle when the flaps open in the ram air. All of the snorkels are the same RA or not. You can use any snorkel off a 4-V breather. 

I thought you could get the vapor tube as a repo it just looks different.

If you block off the opening for the snorkel you will not have any place for air to come in except at full throttle when the flaps open in the ram air. All of the snorkels are the same RA or not. You can use any snorkel off a 4-V breather. 

I thought you could get the vapor tube as a repo it just looks different.
The one I have shown in the picture is a repo.

Ok, thanks, will put the snorkel on but no heat riser tube, will reconnect the vapor tube also. Figured since my flappers are always open (like most I hear due to age) it would get air but only, I guess, while in motion.

Ok, thanks, will put the snorkel on but no heat riser tube, will reconnect the vapor tube also.  Figured since my flappers are always open (like most I hear due to age) it would get air but only, I guess, while in motion.
 I personally think the heat riser tube is a good addition to a stock engine. It’s there for a reason...

Ok, thanks, will put the snorkel on but no heat riser tube, will reconnect the vapor tube also.  Figured since my flappers are always open (like most I hear due to age) it would get air but only, I guess, while in motion.
 I personally think the heat riser tube is a good addition to a stock engine. It’s there for a reason...
Agreed,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back