Wooden Steering Wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy Metal

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
302 C4
[url=https://ibb.co/mVhg5o][img]https://preview.ibb.co/eJbkWT/Lot.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://ibb.co/mVhg5o][img]https://preview.ibb.co/eJbkWT/Lot.jpg[/img][/url]
Hello 7173ers,

I'm looking for advise on purchasing  a wooden steering wheel for my 73 vert.

I've seen a few offed and the horror stories that come with them, horn button ect......

Thanks for your help and advise, it's greatly appreciated.

Heavy Metal

Florence, SC

Hello 7173ers,

I've seen a few offed and the horror stories that come with them, horn button ect......

Heavy Metal

Florence, SC
Hi Please see pic

The wheel is 5x ply with thru studs and the full aluminium spun boss over the column - top of the line known as a Volante. They typically cost around $300 of your Franklin, Grant and Jacksons. ::thumb::

A tiny price to pay for luxury. 

The way to benefit the horn is have the center button actuate a 12 volt relay under the hood. This way the relay carries the current, not the center hub switch....simples.

If you get a fake cheap wheel made out of a shoddy laminate over plastic..., your car will start itself up in the middle of the night and run away.  ::devil::

Last edited by a moderator:

I added the 6 bolt Corsa Feroce wheel, but to make it work had to take off the "button" on top of the column shaft and have the hub necked down on a lathe 1/8th an inch. Looks good and works well but wish there was a more bolt on type application.

Hello 7173ers,

Heavy Metal

Florence, SC
Hi Please see pic

The wheel is 5x ply with thru studs and the full aluminium spun boss over the column - top of the line known as a Volante. They typically cost around $300 of your Franklin, Grant and Jacksons. ::thumb::

The way to benefit the horn is have the center button actuate a 12 volt relay under the hood. This way the relay carries the current, not the center hub switch....simples.

If you get a fake cheap wheel made out of a shoddy laminate over plastic..., your car will start itself up in the middle of the night and run away.  ::devil::
Is it my eyes or is your wheel/steering column tilted to the right? Or is the reason being you guys' driving on the wrong side of the road? LOL!

Hello 7173ers,

Heavy Metal

Florence, SC
Hi Please see pic

Is it my eyes or is your wheel/steering column tilted to the right? Or is the reason being you guys' driving on the wrong side of the road? LOL!
Time to get those eye’s tested...LOL

Hi Please see pic

Time to get those eye’s tested...LOL
You NEED to get YOUR punctuation tested!!! It's eyes not eye's!

.. on a more serious note : and trying to get Poor Heavy Metal's thread back on track .... why do we change our wheel out? 

Well 2x reasons for me 

1. The original feels like it belongs in a truck 

2. mine was cracked beyond repair... load of chunks missing with the reinforcing wire exposed. 

When I saw the volante wheel (typical use in AC/Shelby Cobra) I thought the smaller diameter made sense, nice feel, didn't look out of place and the $300 was worth it.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the reply's, I really appreciate it.

The photos are great and I'm leaning toward the Grant wheel because of the depth of dish....I have long legs.

The Corso Feroce and Scott Drake have a much flatter dish.

Such decisions....lol.....

I have a grant wheel too. I refinished it with a really good sanding down to bare wood, then a few coats of light colored stain and then 5-6 coats of urethane clear. I also put some black paint in the holes b4 I did the clear.

Hi Guys,

The photos are great and I'm leaning toward the Grant wheel because of the depth of dish....I have long legs.

Mine is sorta in between as far as the dish depth goes. I picked it because I prefer the thinner grip and a smaller area around the horn button. Mine did come with a tribar symbol horn button. Just didn’t put it on yet while I have the interior out. I am happy with them.

I got both the wheel and the black powdercoated 6- bolt column hub adapter from CJPonyparts. It’s a 6-bolt 15” 1965 GT350 style woodgrain wheel with rivets. Like everyone else I prefer Ohio Mustang for most stuff but I strayed on that one (and the wheel predictably and frustratingly got backordered even though it showed in stock, but eventually it got here).

I am 6’2” and it fits my legs perfectly fine, but I haven’t put the deluxe door panels in yet. 

Nardi…

Look up Nardi steering wheels.  In my opinion the nicest wooden rim steering wheels made.  Made in Italy, about $300-400.  They really are outstanding.

I have a grant wheel too. I refinished it with a really good sanding down to bare wood, then a few coats of light colored stain and then 5-6 coats of urethane clear. I also put some black paint in the holes b4 I did the clear.

Thats pretty sweet......nice job....is that a 15" or their 13 3/4" diameter ??

Hi Guys,

Mine is sorta in between as far as the dish depth goes. I picked it because I prefer the thinner grip and a smaller area around the horn button. Mine did come with a tribar symbol horn button. Just didn’t put it on yet while I have the interior out. I am happy with them.

I got both the wheel and the black powdercoated 6- bolt column hub adapter from CJPonyparts. It’s a 6-bolt 15” 1965 GT350 style woodgrain wheel with rivets. Like everyone else I prefer Ohio Mustang for most stuff but I strayed on that one (and the wheel predictably and frustratingly got backordered even though it showed in stock, but eventually it got here).

I am 6’2” and it fits my legs perfectly fine, but I haven’t put the deluxe door panels in yet. 

Thank you for the response......that's a sweet wheel.  I really enjoy the wood finish in these old cars.   ::thumb::

Thats pretty sweet......nice job....is that a 15" or their 13 3/4" diameter ??
Thanks man! That’s a 15” wheel.

Back