Turn Signals

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Relic

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 SCJ
69 mach 1
67 convertible
Having trouble with my turn signals on my 71 J code ,they dont flash just stay on.

I have replaced the flasher unit and tested the voltage at the bulbs and am getting full voltage but not pulsing ??

Anyone out there had this issue ?

Thnx Roger

Having trouble with my turn signals on my 71 J code ,they dont flash just stay on.

I have replaced the flasher unit and tested the voltage at the bulbs and am getting full voltage but not pulsing ??

Anyone out there had this issue ?

Thnx Roger
Do you have two flasher units - one for turn signals, one for 4 way emergency ?  Did you check voltage & glowing at all bulbs - front & back ? 

Electrickery is a sneaky beast.

PKJ

There's all types of reasons for your symptoms, but the most likely one is a bad turn signal switch. But check/change the flasher can first: it's cheaper!

The biggest cause of electrical problems in cars is grounding. Make sure your chassis grounds are good, battery to fender apron (bottom screw on the voltage regulator). I agree with Midlife , change the turn signal flasher. I would use a heavy duty electronic one. The OEM on woks by heating a bimetallic strip in the flasher, causing it to break contact, cools, and makes contact. Any bad connection, including inside the fuses will limit or eliminate the heating of the strip. The electronic ones will flash no matter what the load is, or isn't.

The biggest cause of electrical problems in cars is grounding. Make sure your chassis grounds are good, battery to fender apron (bottom screw on the voltage regulator). I agree with Midlife , change the turn signal flasher. I would use a heavy duty electronic one. The OEM on woks by heating a bimetallic strip in the flasher, causing it to break contact, cools, and makes contact. Any bad connection, including inside the fuses will limit or eliminate the heating of the strip. The electronic ones will flash no matter what the load is, or isn't.
In the second line, he says he has replaced the flasher unit.  My question was to establish if he changed the right one - assuming there may be two ? 

After that, yes, we are looking at socket contacts, bulbs, grounding, headlight switch and the list goes on.  Process of elimination with easy ones first.

PKJ

Yes, he said he replaced it, but not with what type.
Yep - I see where you're going.  Fair point, worth a try.   :goodpost:

PKJ

Thanks Guys

checked all bulbs and replaced Flasher unit...no go.I then pulled the steering wheel and sprayed a contact cleaner the rinse on turn signal switch , dried with air and YEP success  Thanks for your help :thankyouyellow:

Ta Da!

You see, even a blind squirrel (like me) gets one right every once in a while.

Back