• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1972 Mustang Under Dash AC Part # D2ZZ-19C872-A

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonhawayek

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sportsroof Sprint with 351 4V (Q code) Auto
Hi Looking to add original Mustang under-dash a/c to my 72 Sprint. Anyone know where I may be able to find one?

Many thanks, and stay well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try contacting J D Larson at All Classic Motors. He has a large inventory. If he doesn't have it he may point you to someone who does. Chuck

Try contacting J D Larson at All Classic Motors. He has a large inventory. If he doesn't have it he may point you to someone who does. Chuck

Thanks very much Chuck. I appreciate the lead. Be well,Jon

You might contact Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air. They used to refurbish ad on AC unit and may help you track down what you are looking for. BTW I don't think I've ever seen one. Do you have a picture? Chuck

Do you mean in dash A/C ?
Thanks for your reply- I am referring to the dealer installed units that are hung inside under the dash
Only factory underdash A/C I’ve seen was in 65-66 Stangs. Good luck on your search and remember seeing your car when it was for sale, beautiful  ::thumb::

Hello Jonhawayek

in the early 70's Ford had a dealer-installed accessory AC called the "Slimline".  It was a good seller in the large cars and trucks but made an already tight cockpit even tighter in cars like the Mustang.  In the late '70s, the hang on AC units started utilizing the ductwork that was already in place with the heater only cars. They looked more like the factory integral systems and even used the same control panel the factory AC used. If your car is a non-OE AC car and you want to add this type of Ford accessory AC, you may have a difficult search. The D2ZZ-19C872-A you listed was only one of several kit/single piece part numbers needed for a complete installation. These were not a one size fits all system but were model and engine specific.  Most installations required a  9c872 (Ducts & controls), 19703 (compressor), 19708 (condenser), 19B969 (engine drive kit), 8600 (fan), 8546 (spacer) and 19B968 (evaporator). There were a lot of components to this system with some control and under the dash pieces that would be hard to duplicate now since most of the vehicle-specific parts of this system were discontinued many years ago.

As others have suggested you could check with https://www.classicautoair.com/ or https://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/  If they don't service any part of the Ford "Slimline" system they might even have some suggestions on something close to it.

Good luck with your search.

71-73 Mustang "Slimline" AC appearance

Thanks for your reply- I am referring to the dealer installed units that are hung inside under the dash
Only factory underdash A/C I’ve seen was in 65-66 Stangs. Good luck on your search and remember seeing your car when it was for sale, beautiful  ::thumb::
Thanks! You have a nice Sprint as well!

You might contact Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air. They used to refurbish ad on AC unit and may help you track down what you are looking for. BTW I don't think I've ever seen one. Do you have a picture? Chuck

Thanks Chuck, here is a picture for the Mustang specific as well as parts #'s. Appreciate your help.

Thanks again, Here is what it looks like specific to Mustang. I'm sure it is going to be tough to locate!

Hello Jonhawayek

in the early 70's Ford had a dealer-installed accessory AC called the "Slimline".  It was a good seller in the large cars and trucks but made an already tight cockpit even tighter in cars like the Mustang.  In the late '70s, the hang on AC units started utilizing the ductwork that was already in place with the heater only cars. They looked more like the factory integral systems and even used the same control panel the factory AC used. If your car is a non-OE AC car and you want to add this type of Ford accessory AC, you may have a difficult search. The D2ZZ-19C872-A you listed was only one of several kit/single piece part numbers needed for a complete installation. These were not a one size fits all system but were model and engine specific.  Most installations required a  9c872 (Ducts & controls), 19703 (compressor), 19708 (condenser), 19B969 (engine drive kit), 8600 (fan), 8546 (spacer) and 19B968 (evaporator). There were a lot of components to this system with some control and under the dash pieces that would be hard to duplicate now since most of the vehicle-specific parts of this system were discontinued many years ago.

As others have suggested you could check with https://www.classicautoair.com/ or https://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/  If they don't service any part of the Ford "Slimline" system they might even have some suggestions on something close to it.

Good luck with your search.

71-73 Mustang "Slimline" AC appearance
Thanks very much for your post and information. You are right on with numbers. My Sprint is a non-OE AC car and did not want to put in new AC so thought this would be best bet to keep as original as possible but still stay cool during humid Buffalo summers. Just picked this brochure from Ebay. Thanks again and i will let you know if/when I find one. Be well

Back