Well, it is mechanically very similar at least

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdskip

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Cougar (sorry) Convertible with 351c 2V
67A99228-63AC-4EB5-926C-2DFF3B28F52E.jpeg

Hi guys, Tom from SoCal here. I recently bought a 1971 Cougar Convertible and kept coming across great discussions here so thought I would sign up. The Cougar has been through some less than sympathetic owners but I'm making progress on getting her back on the road and into use.

Thanks in advance for the help and coaching, as well as to those that have shared past technical information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Houston, Texas!! Nice ride. Seen some gorgeous 71-73 Coogs online hope you get her in running prime!

Thanks for the welcome, and nice Mustangs guys. Wow, those have eyeball. Nicely done.

A number of years back, 20ish... I bought a Pewter on vermillion ‘72 Cougar Convertible to match my J Code Mach (colour and interior) at the time. It came from Quebec and was a very nice car. They ride nicer then the Stang’s for sure. Sold it to a guy in Pennsylvania a few years later. Miss that car... Enjoy the ride.

Welcome from Oklahoma. I have a 1969 Eliminator that I've had since 1982. I also had a 1973 Cougar XR7, Q code 4 speed car many years ago. Chuck

Hello from Mississippi,

Glad you stopped by, liked what you saw and decided to stay. You and your cat are certainly welcome here. Your 71 Cougar was assembled along with 71-73 Mustangs at the Dearborn Assembly Plant. so they are cousins.

Welcome to your new Mustang and Cougar home!

Geez, you all are nudging me towards setting up 1971-1973 Mustang searches on Craigslist already! Thanks for the welcome.

@kilgon, she is plenty rough but a fun arm on the door top cruiser. It has been a bit of a pleasant shock how many people smile and wave when they see her sailing along with the top down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Illinois! Always nice to have another vert join us here!

Welcome from North Carolina. I dig the Cougar and am happy to see another convertible!

Back