1971 351C 2V Inner / Outer Heat Shield

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdunlap

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 2 Door Sports Roof
White 351C CID 2V FMX Transmission Power Front Disc Brakes Ram Air AM Radio Console
Just recently purchased a 1971 Mach 1 with a 351C 2V.  It is missing the heat shield, and I wanted to see if anyone had one they would be willing to part with. I have been looking around and the prices on these things are scary... I think the part number is D1AZ-9A603-A. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello gcdunlap           

The 71 351C (2 & 4bl) utilized a different style from what you see on the 72/ models. The 71 used D1AZ-9A603-A which is a single-piece design and was sourced from the 71 full-size Ford with a 400 engine. Strangely enough, the 71 full-size Ford with the 351C used an inner and outer two-piece design! I'm sure the engineers had a good reason for that besides keeping us confused.

Many of these and the engine lift brackets were tossed during "Lets put on headers on everything" phase that most of us went through. Time and heat were also not kind to these stamped metal parts as they rusted and deteriorated.  To my knowledge, these are not being reproduced at this time. Combine that with the fact that some sellers will only concentrate on this part also having Boss 351 and Pantera applications, and the price can be a little out of range for us commoners. Most of the sources I use for NOS and used parts don't show any stock. NOS does show One D1AZ-9A603-AU which is not a valid Ford part #. It could be a keypunch error with the "U" when they entered the part into their system.  https://nospartsltd.com/product/d1az9a603au/  Probably wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

I have never done any business with this company but they also show one. They are located in Winnipeg, so some of our Canadian members may know something about this vendor. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/winnipeg/exhaust-manifold-heat-shield/1493953696

If these fall through you could always check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang. Both have been known to pull a rabbit out of their hats.

Good luck with your search.

D1AZ-9A603-A installed on a 71 Boss 351

Back