• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

The Right Stuff rear brake disc kit (9" Ford)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I am selling this kit that I bought from CJPony Parts at the end of 2014 (https://www.cjponyparts.com/rear-disc-brake-conversion-kit-small-bearing-8-9-1965-1973/p/DBR21-V/). I bought the DBR21, but now they listed as DBR21-V. I understand they have redesigned the calipers since I bought this kit.

You will get pretty much everything in the kit listed plus one extra caliper, extra set of pads and extra hardware that I used to install it in my Mustang.

I have 3 calipers because the kit I bought had two matching calipers so one side can be installed in the oposite orientation, which will have the e-brake coming from the back. In theory this is what they sell for staggered shocks but I ended up not using it because there is no need for it. I was able to install both calipers facing in the same direction which makes installation a lot easier. That's the reason why I have an extra caliper. In any case, you get the 3 calipers and you can decide what to do, or just keep it as a spare. The calipers have a section of the outer edge slightly ground to clear my Magnum wheels.

The kit was used about 2,000 miles. I have now replaced it with a more expensive Wilwood kit. The reason is because this kit is a one piston system with a much larger surface area than my front Wilwoods, which caused an unbalance. This kit should work very well with the OEM disc brakes at the front. I had no problem locking the rear wheels with this kit. My problem was that they were robbing fluid from the front so my fronts were not working efficiently.

This kit is very easy to install. You don't need to remove the axles. You will get all the parts I used to install in my Mustang so it will save you from that hassle.

I am asking for $195 + shipping   -- SOLD --

Included:

-11.25" Plane disc rotors (not vented)

-3 calipers (2x BC39N and 1xBC38N)

-Caliper brackets (CMB100) including spacers.

-3 Rubber flex hoses: includes a shorter one to better fit the driver's side.

-E-brake cables (EBCRD1 and EBCRD2): I ended up using the OEMs so these are new.

-Original instruction packet, but you can print one from the web. Note that the packet in the picture says big bearing, but the kit is for small bearing. The instructions are the same.

-2 sets of pads: the ones that came with the kit and a higher performance PowerStop set.

-Miscellaneous hardware the comes with the kit plus some more: these include spacer bushings, bolts and washers. I used longer grade 8 bolts and washers to fit my kit.

Here are pictures as it is ready to ship:

Original instructions. The page says Big Bearing but the kit is for Small Bearing Mustangs like the 71-73 Ford 9"

E-brake cables. I ended up using the ones in the car. These ones from the kit are not of the right length.

Unused caliper and hose:

Last edited by a moderator:
Would one of those in line brake proportioning adjusters have helped solve that issue?

I'm curious because I am going to run the cheap Wilwood kit (4 piston calipers) up front and was going to do a kit like the one you have for sale on the rear.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-11179?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNaDNjs9COrpAnD60zJAPedXtAPvn-w9BTfytGLAigq5diZCiB9kr-BoCNHUQAvD_BwE

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I had one installed, but it only reduces the pressure to the rears. I had no problem locking the rears. I was not able to lock the fronts.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Any more interest out there? The shipping has been the deal breaker since it is about $120. UPS and USPS are similar in cost.
Are you on facebook? I recently joined 5-6 different groups for 71-73 mustangs and they all seem pretry active. If you post this on there you would surely get some eyes on it. Maybe someone more local to you.
I was able to get rid of a few things pretty quickly over there.

Any more interest out there? The shipping has been the deal breaker since it is about $120. UPS and USPS are similar in cost.
Are you on facebook? I recently joined 5-6 different groups for 71-73 mustangs and they all seem pretry active. If you post this on there you would surely get some eyes on it. Maybe someone more local to you.

I was able to get rid of a few things pretty quickly over there.

Good idea. I am a member of one of them. I will try and see.

Back