Farpak Gasket for FMX oil pan

I was using a Farpak Duraprene gasket for my FMX oil pan. I purchased this accidentially, when I ordered a new gasket and oilfilter set in the past.

Two years ago I have had lots of issues with my FMX and getting the oil pan off and on was something which happened weekly. In this time I was very happy about this Farpak gasket because I was able to get the oil pan off without big efforts nor destroying the gasket. The Farpak gasket was always flexible and was sealing dependable.

Today it was totally different. I had to do some maintenance to my FMX. I tried to get the oil pan off, but no way. It seemed like glued to the case. After some efforts and the persuasive power of a rubber mallet on one side and a thin chisel on the other, the pan was off but the gasket totally destroyed.

Up to now, I was happy with the Farpak and recommended it to some friends, what I will consider carefully in the future.

Now I have installed one made of a cork, I had as a spare part in my drawer.

My questions are:

Is this Farpak gasket known for this manner?

Which style, cork or Farpak Duraprene is the better choice?

Cheers Frank

1972 Mach 1, 351C-2V, wimbledon white, blue all vinyl luxury

born in Dearborn, grown in the district of San José, spent a lifetime in California, moved to Germany in 2010

Mustang_Mach1_wallpaper_300_150.jpg proud member of clublogozusammen.JPG.59fb4a10d15cfff9ec756235059135b8.JPG

Farpak is used by most professional transmission shops. I wouldn't expect it to withstand removal after two years of use. If the pan comes off, a new gasket should go on. It's simply a fiber/neoprene composite gasket, not a true reusable like a silicone w/steel core. If you want it to last longer, you could apply some light grease or TransGel to the surfaces, which should reduce the sticking.

Farpak is miles ahead of a cork gasket for an automatic transmission.

• Like 1

Farpak is used by most professional transmission shops. I wouldn't expect it to withstand removal after two years of use. If the pan comes off, a new gasket should go on. It's simply a fiber/neoprene composite gasket, not a true reusable like a silicone w/steel core. If you want it to last longer, you could apply some light grease or TransGel to the surfaces, which should reduce the sticking.

Farpak is miles ahead of a cork gasket for an automatic transmission.

Thanks for the explanation, Hemikiller  ::thumb::

I have ordered some Farpak gaskets to have them in spare for the service.

Cheers Frank

1972 Mach 1, 351C-2V, wimbledon white, blue all vinyl luxury

born in Dearborn, grown in the district of San José, spent a lifetime in California, moved to Germany in 2010

Mustang_Mach1_wallpaper_300_150.jpg proud member of clublogozusammen.JPG.59fb4a10d15cfff9ec756235059135b8.JPG

I like to use the Farpak gaskets with an Aluminum pan that has a solid flat pan flange ,

If a pressed steel pan I prefer the rubber/cork . BUT .Those must be retorqued after a few heat cycles