Rear turn signals not working after replacing signal cam

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
Hello, I replaced my broken turn signal cam. Simple enough with just splicing in two wires on the cam. When I got done the rear signals don't work. The fronts still work and at normal speed. I have the column hanging doing some other work on the dash so the column is hanging more or less parallel with the floor. When I getting things together on the floor of the car to put in the replacement part this little metal bar fell down. No idea if that's even part of the switch or if it came from something else. 

Is that part of the switch and if so can that be causing the issue with the rear lights? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recognize the metal plate as being part of the turn signal switch. I have tried replacing just the turn signal cam a couple of times, and they never worked right, without adjusting the metal contacts so they would make contact. You can use your old one as a reference as to how they should be aligned. Not worth the hassle, I just replace the entire switch now, it may take a little longer to install, but when it's in it works (if it's from a quality supplier) without messing with it.

Thanks Don. I was wondering if that little plate was a bit of a red herring. 

So are there contacts for front and back behind that signal cam? I assumed it's just left and right so trying to understand how just the rears aren't working.

One set of contacts are for the front and the other for the rear. When the switch is in the neutral position the rear contacts switch both brake lights on, when turned to the right it keeps the left brake light activated and when turned left keeps the right brake light activated.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're also having brake light problems.

Back