Anyone ever think of removing their windows?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
Not like Windows 10. We've all thought of that. But the side windows on the car. Not total Duke boys style with welded doors and all that crap, but just no side windows. Sort of the crazy concept of the day. Here in AZ my car will never see a rainy day except for out the garage door. I always leave them rolled down. I never roll them up. It's almost as if they were not there I wouldn't really care. I don't keep anything of value in the car, and it's always garaged. Just a thought. Wondering if anyone else has considered it or even been crazy enough to do it. As this isn't really serious, I put this in the off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not like Windows 10. We've all thought of that. But the side windows on the car. Not total Duke boys style with welded doors and all that crap, but just no side windows. Sort of the crazy concept of the day. Here in AZ my car will never see a rainy day except for out the garage door. I always leave them rolled down. I never roll them up. It's almost as if they were not there I wouldn't really care. I don't keep anything of value in the car, and it's always garaged. Just a thought. Wondering if anyone else has considered it or even been crazy enough to do it. As this isn't really serious, I put this in the off topic.
No. That is why they made convertibles. Most of the world does not have constant warm temperatures to make this feasible. But, too each their own if it something they want to do.

I'll have to hand it to you- that is certainly an idea most people would not think of. hehe Why would it bother you knowing that they are rolled down inside the doors? Maybe hang up some of those stock car nets in the window openings. You see, being in Arizona I'd think you would want the windows rolled up all the time and install air conditioning if you don't already have it on the car. When it gets to 110 there people sometimes say oh it's a dry heat. But it's still hot! :)

I don’t get why you would go through all the hassle to remove them. What about the holes in the door panels for the cranks?You taking the 1/4 windows out too? That’s what bugged me about the side windows. I still can’t believe that Ford didn’t have them roll down, so I converted them to do so. But I still want them to be able to roll up in case I get caught in the rain at a car show or something like that. Plus I live in Michigan, so we have colder temps to deal with too.

I would just try to get the stuff to make the 1/4 windows roll down. Makes the car look better than it already does if you ask me.

In the beginning Ford created the Roadster, NO SIDE WINDOWS. The reason was to produce the cheapest car possible. You did have roll up curtains. Like most have said we do not all live in climates that make that ideal. People wanted more they got tired of the heavy coats, copper hot water bottles to put you feet on to keep warm and wrapping up in blankets.

The next model up was a Cabriolet, convertible with roll up windows and frames. 

The only car in recent times I know of that had no side windows was the first version of the Viper it was a true Roadster.

Seems like you need to go find you a Cobra. I saw a guy this year in his Cobra in a total downpour. I am sure it was probably a kit car but still gallons of water makes a mess.

Interesting idea.   :chin:

I'm kind of in the same boat - I [try to] never drive the car in bad weather, never leave it anywhere I'm afraid of someone trying to steal, and it lives in the garage most of the time.

I hadn't considered pulling the glass, because I'd rather have the option to close the windows just in case I'm at a car show or someplace where a pop-up rain storm suddenly appears, or dust storm, or need to lock it up to be away from the car for a short time, etc.

Hello Big Red Mach 1,

I agree these Mustangs do look good with the windows all lowered. But in the long run, I don't believe the weight savings or the effort it would require to remove the glass and all the associated hardware would be worth the effort. You may have an occasional driver but the possibility of encountering some hostile weather conditions in Arizona exists. Murphy's law says so!

My brother lives in Mesa and I try to visit for a couple of weeks every summer. I'm pretty well heat tolerant, but one summer it got up to 118 degrees and I could not have survived without AC that year. Another "Thing" I encountered one visit was the famous wall of dust storm. I believe they are called Haboobs there. A giant wall of red dust kicked up by very strong winds preceding strong thunderstorms. This particular one seemed to come out of nowhere and was fast-moving and dangerous. Something with no windows would have been disastrous. Remember Murphys Law....it gets all of us at one time or another !!

Better Roll 'Em up or Turn Around!! These were in the Phoenix area.

No. That is why they made convertibles. Most of the world does not have constant warm temperatures to make this feasible. But, too each their own if it something they want to do.
Seems like most convertible owners leave their tops down all the time if the car is at a show or in their garage. And they certainly drive with them down. So not too different I guess.

I don’t get why you would go through all the hassle to remove them. What about the holes in the door panels for the cranks?You taking the 1/4 windows out too? That’s what bugged me about the side windows. I still can’t believe that Ford didn’t have them roll down, so I converted them to do so. But I still want them to be able to roll up in case I get caught in the rain at a car show or something like that. Plus I live in Michigan, so we have colder temps to deal with too.

I would just try to get the stuff to make the 1/4 windows roll down. Makes the car look better than it already does if you ask me.
I'll never end up doing it. Again, just a crazy thought that did come to me when thinking about buying all the stuff to make the 1/4 windows functional. I just pondered the reverse. Why have them at all, for a garaged car that won't come out in monsoon season and probably won't ever see rain. But as others have pointed out, surprise storms and car washings sort of kill the idea among other things.

I'll never end up doing it. Again, just a crazy thought that did come to me when thinking about buying all the stuff to make the 1/4 windows functional. I just pondered the reverse. Why have them at all, for a garaged car that won't come out in monsoon season and probably won't ever see rain. But as others have pointed out, surprise storms and car washings sort of kill the idea among other things.
Ok makes sense now.  My car has power windows and the rear windows go down.  I never even realized at first that the non-power window cars have those fixed windows.  I see why people convert them.

Back