The man that started it all passed away this morning.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I got an email from the Mustang Owner's Museum that Gale Halderman passed away this morning. I had the opportunity to meet him a couple times in the past two years. He would sign autographs for hours and had some great tales of the Mustang.

Here is copy paste of the email I got from the MOM.

He is the man that started it all I think I remember he started at Ford in 1957. He went to school to be a sign painter but changed his mind and got in to automotive design. When the 65 Mustang was picked for the pace car at Indy. Gale hand lettered one side of a car and 3-M came in and copied it for the other side and all the models built. He told some eye opening tales about how little Carroll Shelby did on the Shelby Mustang.

Sad to hear he passed and condolences to his wife that was with him at all the shows. Here is pic at the MOM last April.

Gale Halderman, Mustang Designer,

Passes Away at the Age of 87

mail

The Mustang World lost an Icon today, Gale Halderman, passed away this morning.

Many Mustang enthusiasts first met Gale at the Mustang 50th, Charlotte, as he was

one of the guest speakers in the program put together by John Clor.

I got to know Gale as a person that could not say no to an autograph or to a picture

with anyone.  Always smiling and truly enjoyed being part of the Mustang legacy.

Just this morning I came across a list of things Gale made for the

Mustang Owner's Museum needed to consider for the Hobby.

I am sure more posts will be made regarding Gale, but to us Gale was a

friend, supporter and the best example of a Mustang enthusiast.

Our condolences go out to his daughter Karen and family.

https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimgssl.constantcontact.com%2Fletters%2Fimages%2Fsys%2FS.gif&t=1588184513&ymreqid=039d59d3-e24e-a16f-1c8d-fb00d3010d00&sig=SSvY1SMx3HqOSna8VkbACA--~C[/img]

David, I sure hated to hear this. I got a notification from the President of the Red Mustang Registry this morning. Really hate for us to lose such an iconic person that was part of a group responsible for the Mustang's birth. I bet none of them had any Ideal that a sketch on a napkin would result in a vehicle that 50+ years later we would still be pursuing and dream about to this day!

Rest in Peace Mr. Halderman, your work here is done. We all appreciate the time God allowed you to spend with us.

Condolences to his family and loved ones.

Back