71 On craigslist

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the seller seems legit and you get serious on this one, the guy who did the metal work on my 72 (the one in my signature pic) is an hour away from there. He does full restorations of 65-73 Mustangs, and honestly knows everything there is to know about them. He does the best metal work I have ever seen personally, and is very honest. 

I am fairly certain he would inspect the car for a reasonable fee. Feel free to PM me if you would like his contact info.

If the seller seems legit and you get serious on this one, the guy who did the metal work on my 72 (the one in my signature pic) is an hour away from there. He does full restorations of 65-73 Mustangs, and honestly knows everything there is to know about them. He does the best metal work I have ever seen personally, and is very honest. 

I am fairly certain he would inspect the car for a reasonable fee. Feel free to PM me if you would like his contact info.
Thanks for the offer. I will keep that in mind. But the ad isn’t looking very promising.

Looks REALLY nice!  ::thumb::

Also looks like a typical "load it up with every cosmetic option to make it look even cooler" treatment, though (although, I'm surprised it doesn't have Magnums, TBH).  With the 302, rocker trim, and standard interior, I'd have to say it was probably low-optioned car (no stripes, no spoilers, etc.).

They absolutely nailed the TuTone on the hood, despite not being a Ram Air car, and it looks like it's been well cared for.  For that price, all things considered, I could be all-in on that one.

I hope it's as nice as it looks and works out the way you want it to.  Good luck with it!

Emailed the guy to get some more info on this one. Doesn't look too bad.  But need lots more info and pics. 

https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/d/columbia-1971-mach1/7109535657.html

I am also not far from there maybe 100 miles. If you want someone to look I would and then probably go visit friends near there in Orangeburg, SC.

I am going to view one on Saturday probably if not pouring rain. It is a 72.
Thanks for the offer David!! I will keep that in mind. Be nice to have someone that knows our cars take a look.

Nice looking car, says it was "recently refreshed", so it needs to be looked over carefully for certain. Judging by the lack of Seat Belt warning light in the passenger dash. gonna go with '71 and the "72" was a fat fingered mistake.

Emailed the guy to get some more info on this one. Doesn't look too bad.  But need lots more info and pics. 

https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/d/columbia-1971-mach1/7109535657.html
Wow, imagine if this one works out and you could swap in your drivetrain in time for driving season.  Those hub caps and trim rings are worth a small fortune themselves.  Interesting that a Firestone Wide Oval spare is in the trunk.  Needs to be checked out in person for Bondo, etc., but I absolutely love that color combo.

Also looks like a typical "load it up with every cosmetic option to make it look even cooler" treatment, though (although, I'm surprised it doesn't have Magnums, TBH).  With the 302, rocker trim, and standard interior, I'd have to say it was probably low-optioned car (no stripes, no spoilers, etc.).

They absolutely nailed the TuTone on the hood, despite not being a Ram Air car, and it looks like it's been well cared for.  For that price, all things considered, I could be all-in on that one.

I hope it's as nice as it looks and works out the way you want it to.  Good luck with it!
Not quite nailed it, but pretty close....

I think I see what you're seeing.  How about, "it's the nicest one I've seen since you got yours done."  ::thumb::

I think I see what you're seeing.  How about, "it's the nicest one I've seen since you got yours done."  ::thumb::
I thought something was off but couldn’t put my finger on it???

Well I got some info on the car and it sounds really good. It was a standard plain Jane Mach 1. 302 car with c4 trans and 2.79 rear. non-ac. Standard interior. Car is numbers matching. Looks like the car has spent its entire life in the Charlotte SC area. The owner now is a 72 year old man from SC. He collects alot of cars and has some beautiful ones. Has 19 right now and wants to sell 10-12 of them. Several tri-5 chevys. Chevelles. A Cobra. ECT. He bought this car about 5 years ago and had it repainted. Its all original panels, no rust. He said hes not a mustang guy but when he came across this car he said he had to buy it. Had what he believes to be the original paint when he bought it. Very clean. I talked for probably an hour on the phone with the guy. Super nice gentlemen. Sounds like a no-BS kinda guy. He sent me pics of some of his collection, and they are beautiful. I'm really thinking hard about making the 10 hour drive to go check this one out in the near future. Its almost identical to my car. My car had a few more options.....AC, deluxe interior, Tach, ect. But I can swap all that stuff from my car into this one.

So, what do you guys think??

Here's a little plan if i get this car. And forgive me for tearing up a numbers matching car , but its only a plane jane 302 car.

Pull drive train and interior. Install my motor with fuel injection and classic AC, install 4r70w trans, install my rearend, install coilovers and nice suspension all way around, install my center gauges and tach, install my seats,my louvers, rims and tires, and anything else i want. Drive it like i stole it.

What do you guys think?? I can then sell off the rest of my parts and the ones removed from that car.

So essentially I'm buying a really nice shell for $22,000

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey - people buy really crappy Boss and Shelby shells for that kind of money.  I say go for it!  The 351C-2V and 302 cars were the most plentiful, IIRC.  This is a very nice car, numbers matching, and in great shape - however, it's not a particularly rare or collectible specimen (like a rare option combo, Boss 351, 429 CJ, 429 SCJ, etc.).

This car is going to be well cared for, all of your mods will be done right, and best of all: it'll be enjoyed, rather than squirreled away in some collection where the owner really didn't want the car anyway.  If you don't buy it, what are the odds that someone else will get it and just run it into the ground?

Just my opinion - I hope it goes how you want it to.

I think it sounds like a great plan! Probably your best option and then you don’t have to worry about a salvage title and trying to repair your damaged car. Plus I would think that this is the most least expensive way to go. Hope it’s a good car if you decide to get it!

Without you wanting to look cheap, is there any "wiggle room" in there to get a couple grand off it?

If the floor pan inside and outside are as good as the rest looks, and under the circumstance, I think it's a no brainer. I would definitely go take a look and really check out the bones of it. After all, the less you have to spend on bodywork, the more you have to spend on making it "yours'.

I think it makes for an easy way to recover. While 22K seems high for a "shell", you really are buying what is arguably a pretty nice car - you don't need to do the swaps if you don't want to. - which also gives you the option of driving it for a while and making the swap-overs a winter project.

You also have the option of selling off good parts and recouping some cash. Not a bad deal, in my opinion...

Back