new ignition

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Anyone know anything about this company and their distributors? Thanks, Chuck https://progressionignition.com

Well, it does look interesting. Expensive, but interesting and at least the electronics are sourced and assembled in the USA...…… so where is the rest of it from? let me guess, it begins with a "C".

And what's a "Cell Phone". Is that a phone in a prison? lol. 

Jokes aside, It does look very interesting and very controllable as long as you don't mind a slightly non-stock look. Talking of looks, it's way better than those HEI things some insist on using.

For those not in the USA, exchange rates and shipping would be a huge consideration.

Wow, looks very coo! Rev limiter, anti theft, looks pretty stock and made in USA. Sure looks nice and yes, it’s kinda expensive but it’s all in one package. I have never heard of them before either.

Very intriguing for sure. Must not be to bad of a company, they even have one for a "Y" block.
Good point Don! We should take a poll of the members to see how many knew what a Y block was, before doing a google search. And, how many have worked on a Y block engine. There are some crazy good parts out there for Y blocks these days. Chuck

I've been running a Duraspark I (red) setup for several years. I have the distributor recurved with a 10L reluctor, softer springs, and 10 degrees of vacuum advance, 16 degrees of initial timing Honestly, the setup has been flawless and the engine runs great. But after debating the idea for a couple of months, I pulled the plug and purchased one of their distributors. There is a lot to like and the intrigue factor is pretty high. But at the end of the day it will be great to have precise timing adjustments at your fingertips, without fiddling around in the engine bay. I'm expecting this to be everything the Duraspark setup was, and a lot more. Plus, I won't miss the extra clutter the Duraspark box and Painless wiring harness add to the engine bay.

I'll post more updates once I receive the unit, get it installed, and up and running.

I have changed a cam and lifters in a Y block without pulling the heads. That is a challenge and did it in the driveway, lol. Might be about the only V-8 ever built that had only solid lifters and were mushroom to cut the weight down. Mr. John Kaase won the engine build of vintage engines on engine masters one year with a Y block. I think it was one of the PU engines that had the best heads. I have a NOS Wiend 3 - 2-V on the shelf for one and probably dozens of head gaskets. 

One big fault with them was how the rocker shafts got their oil. One of the cam bearings would move and close off the oil galley. You had to put an external oiler on when that happened and feed the oil through one of the two valve cover studs. There is a great video on youtube of a new way someone came up with to improve.

In 1967 my brother in law and I were attending Asheville Buncombe Tech. He had just got a new 1967 Rally Sports Camaro. I was driving a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 two door hard top with 312 4-V auto with over 120,000 miles on it and never had anything done to it. He blew past me on the interstate. I caught back up to him and passed him with the speedo buried. Dad gave him a hard time over that. He previously had a 1957 Chevy 2 door hardtop with 283 2 - 4-V and the Ford would eat it's lunch in 1/4 mile or top end. That is how my sister met him she out ran him in a drag race. I have several Y blocks in the hoard if anyone needs one.

Getting the cam bearings installed on Y blocks so the oil hole lined up with that oil galley was a challenge. I made a drill/ream to open it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many entry points does the timing table has?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I actually downloaded the app via Google Play and played around with it a bit before making the decision to purchase.  They have an offline mode you can enter without connecting to the distributor itself.  This enables you to play around with the parameters and generate timing tables.  Once you generate the table, there are 144 entry points within the table which you can customize.

Please let us know how it works as this could be a great alternative to MSD and others. Chuck

I got around to installing and the unit this weekend.  For reference, I have a 1971 Mach 1, 351C 4V, with a 4 speed toploader.  The installation was simple and straightforward.  Drop in the distributor, connect the vacuum line, then wire it up.  As far as wiring, there are only 3 wires to connect the harness (4 if you wire in a tach), negative & positive on the coil, ground, and the optional tach output.  Once you are good to go, crank up the engine and set timing to 10 degrees BTDC.

Below is how I setup my curve:

And here is the resulting table:

I didn't tweak any of the values at all in the table above.  But as you can see, you can customize each field or section as needed.

Something I noticed right away, I have a manual choke carb and no longer need to use it during a cold start.  As you can see by the table above, when RPMs drop below your idle range, timing is bumped up which then increases idle back up.  Also, the unit retards timing to 10 degrees BTDC during cranking, so starting is a breeze.  As far as driveability, I would say it is a noticeable improvement over my old Duraspark I setup.  The engine just feels like it wants to take off at all times, even applying minimal throttle.

Eventually I'll play with the timing a bit to see what limits I can push.  But I'd like to cycle through the old gas that's been sitting in the tank all winter first.  I must say, it's nice to be able to make on the fly adjustments from your phone, without the need to pop the hood.  Especially for those folks that have AC, adjusting the timing can be a PITA.

One other thing worth mentioning, the distributor *just* fits under a stock Ram Air setup.  I also have a 1/2 inch spacer under my carb, which is about all you can get away with having Ram Air.  Without the spacer, I would not have had enough clearance.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I'll have more feedback once I get to test it out more.

More curious as to size as you mentioned it barely cleared the air cleaner etc. I am currently running a custom DUI unit from Performance Distributors which works great but looks hideous under my hood and restricts what I can run for an air cleaner.

More curious as to size as you mentioned it barely cleared the air cleaner etc. I am currently running a custom DUI unit from Performance Distributors which works great but looks hideous under my hood and restricts what I can run for an air cleaner.
Here you go:

I went with the female cap option, since it fit my current setup.  However by default it comes with a male cap.  Not sure if the male cap would provide any more or less clearance.  Either way, you can see I'm right up against it as far as space goes with the ram air cleaner.

Back