Windshield Installation

Nice Job! Very detailed descriptions and good pics. Shoot...... now I have no excuse NOT to do my windshield. But feel good now that I can do it right :-)

You did a very nice job on your windshield. I just installed the windshield in my Convertible and used all 3M products including the primer you show. I was lucky enough to find a Carlite windshield "Made in Mexico".

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

That was an excellent write up. Your installation of the windshield came out perfect!! Thank you for the pics of the supplies you used.

Just remember John Wick didn’t kill all those people for a random car. It was a Mustang

Good to hear it went smooth. Since you did not shoot a bunch of sealer around the outside your trim went on easy I bet. I have seen people destroy their trim by beating on it with a hammer. 

One question I did have is your rest brackets at the bottom are different from mine. I did not have holes in mine on the surface you dipped that I remember and there was also a smaller one in the middle of the cowl.

Great job.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Very good. You got luckier than me. The body shop that painted my car also had a new windshield installed. The glass company tried (believe it or not) 6 before they got one that fitted. Some were curved too much others not enough. So much for aftermarket junk!!

Buyer be ware!

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Good to hear it went smooth. Since you did not shoot a bunch of sealer around the outside your trim went on easy I bet. I have seen people destroy their trim by beating on it with a hammer. 

One question I did have is your rest brackets at the bottom are different from mine. I did not have holes in mine on the surface you dipped that I remember and there was also a smaller one in the middle of the cowl.

Great job.

Not having a bunch of sealer did make the trim a lot easier especially since I had to pull a piece back off and put it back on again.  As far as I know the rest are original.   The car is an early 71 so maybe they change them along the way.  The center is the wiper stop and I did dip that also.  Just didn't show a picture of it since it wasn't relative to the windshield install.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

• 1 month later...

Hello 

I just installed my windshield without the trim molding clips in place. Can I still install the clips and moldings or do I have to removed the windshield again??? I'm going to try to fish the clips in if possible.

Tim

44 minutes ago, timpuleo said:

Hello 

I just installed my windshield without the trim molding clips in place. Can I still install the clips and moldings or do I have to removed the windshield again??? I'm going to try to fish the clips in if possible.

Tim

Should not be a problem unless you used caulking and filled in around the windshield.  The clips will still go on if the post are there.  Just make sure you get them seated all the way.  .

Kilgon

• 1 month later...

damn, this is definitely on my short list of projects.  My windshield leaks, and the previous owners filled the entire space around the windshield with some kind of soft putty.  The windshield is so scratched and pitted its like it sat at the beach facing the ocean during a hurricane.  It wont clean well and you can hardly see at night with all the glare. I never considered trying to put it in myself.  It might not be that bad of a job. Though ill probably call safelite to come do it. 

My A pillar got painted in the same spot last time it was painted.  Its in the paint booth right now getting painted again but I left the windshield installed.  So once its out I will be able to black that paint out before I put it back in.

Did you use a replacement carlite windshield?

Edited by jowens1126

"I drank what?" - Socrates

No - got just a standard one from National Parts Depot  npdlink.com.  If you are going to replace yours with a carlite there are only one or two places that carry them.  Also if you order one on line make sure you read the what vehicle types they fit.   NPD has carlite but it is only for coupes and verts. 

Edited by Kilgon

Kilgon

On the leaking windshield on a convertible. Remember you have to put a strip of closed cell foam and strip calk across the top of the windshield frame to stop the water coming in from under the stainless trim. 

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David