Windshield Installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

Just wanted to share my windshield installation.  I notice a couple of other post but there wasn’t much for the front windshield.  I hope this will help someone in the future.

Some of the prep work I did first was to recoat the two window rest brackets.   They originally had a rubber coating on them that was dried out and brittle.  I consider different ways to replace it and ended up deciding to use Plasti Dip rubber coating.  I dipped each rest 4 times to build up a nice layer.  Next, I checked the window frame area to make sure all areas were smooth and clean.  I finished up by replacing all the molding clips with new ones.  Make sure these are seated all the way down. 

I installed the rest brackets.  

Next with the aid of my helper (wife) we did a dry fit of the windshield.   This is to check the clearance around the edges and to see if any shims might be needed on the rest to raise the windshield up.  In my case I needed to add a shim on the right side.  I used a piece of rubberized plastic.    After reading several articles I decided to use 3M ribbon sealer as the adhesive.  The following is the list of material I used.

Plasti Dip

3M Ribbon Sealer - 08612

3M Primer – 08682

Don’t forget to get a windshield channel for the bottom.

I used the primer on both the car and the windshield.  During the dry fit I mark the windshield at the bottom where it makes contact with the car body. You will need this to know where to put the primer on the windshield at the bottom.

I took the 3m ribbon and in one continuous strip place it on the car.  DO NOT remove the backing. If you remove it make sure to put back on before placing the windshield in place. Using a small piece of wood about 4 inches long I went around the frame and pressed down with a little pressure on the ribbon sealer to make sure it was adhered to the frame.  With the outer edge of the window primed and the channel on the bottom we went ahead and put the windshield in place.

Since the backing is still on the sealant you can adjust the windshield as need.  Once you are satisfied with its placement you can remove the backing.  To do this sit in the car and push the top of the windshield out a couple of inches.  You helper can then remove the backing from the sealant.  Once remove allow the windshield to rest back in on the sealant.  Now you will want to go around the windshield and press it into the sealant to set it in place.   Once done you go ahead and put your trim back on.  

Several things to note.  The painter had painted the A pillar and below the top of the cowl on the side. These areas can be seen through the glass so you will need to black them out.  I had to remove the dash to get back in these areas to touch up with paint.  You do not need to apply a lot of pressure to set the glass.  The ribbon is 3/8 inch and I figured I compressed it down to 1/4 inch.

Windshield rest brackets cleaned and primed .  I painted black before I dipped them.

After 4 dips.  

Note that I cut the backing tape at the corners but not the sealant.  The two ends meet in the middle at the bottom.  You can peel it off while placing the sealant just make sure you place it back on before installing the windshield.  

We placed the windshield on top of the roof since we needed the hood open and there were only 2 of us.  Used a movers blanket for protection.

Note the red paint along the A pillar and at the bottom.  These areas need to be blacked out.  Even with the A pillar trim in place you will see some body color.

I put tape where the clips are so I know where to press when putting the molding back on.

Window in and done. 

Nice Job! Very detailed descriptions and good pics. Shoot...... now I have no excuse NOT to do my windshield. But feel good now that I can do it right :)

You did a very nice job on your windshield. I just installed the windshield in my Convertible and used all 3M products including the primer you show. I was lucky enough to find a Carlite windshield "Made in Mexico".

Good to hear it went smooth. Since you did not shoot a bunch of sealer around the outside your trim went on easy I bet. I have seen people destroy their trim by beating on it with a hammer. 

One question I did have is your rest brackets at the bottom are different from mine. I did not have holes in mine on the surface you dipped that I remember and there was also a smaller one in the middle of the cowl.

Great job.

Very good. You got luckier than me. The body shop that painted my car also had a new windshield installed. The glass company tried (believe it or not) 6 before they got one that fitted. Some were curved too much others not enough. So much for aftermarket junk!!

Buyer be ware!

Good to hear it went smooth. Since you did not shoot a bunch of sealer around the outside your trim went on easy I bet. I have seen people destroy their trim by beating on it with a hammer. 

One question I did have is your rest brackets at the bottom are different from mine. I did not have holes in mine on the surface you dipped that I remember and there was also a smaller one in the middle of the cowl.

Great job.
Not having a bunch of sealer did make the trim a lot easier especially since I had to pull a piece back off and put it back on again.  As far as I know the rest are original.   The car is an early 71 so maybe they change them along the way.  The center is the wiper stop and I did dip that also.  Just didn't show a picture of it since it wasn't relative to the windshield install.

Hello 

I just installed my windshield without the trim molding clips in place. Can I still install the clips and moldings or do I have to removed the windshield again??? I'm going to try to fish the clips in if possible.

Tim

Hello 

I just installed my windshield without the trim molding clips in place. Can I still install the clips and moldings or do I have to removed the windshield again??? I'm going to try to fish the clips in if possible.

Tim
Should not be a problem unless you used caulking and filled in around the windshield.  The clips will still go on if the post are there.  Just make sure you get them seated all the way.  .

thanks Kilgon

wiping (sweat off my forehead)

i can see my post well but not sure if ill have to cut away the sealant slightly to get it hooked all the way

damn, this is definitely on my short list of projects.  My windshield leaks, and the previous owners filled the entire space around the windshield with some kind of soft putty.  The windshield is so scratched and pitted its like it sat at the beach facing the ocean during a hurricane.  It wont clean well and you can hardly see at night with all the glare. I never considered trying to put it in myself.  It might not be that bad of a job. Though ill probably call safelite to come do it. 

My A pillar got painted in the same spot last time it was painted.  Its in the paint booth right now getting painted again but I left the windshield installed.  So once its out I will be able to black that paint out before I put it back in.

Did you use a replacement carlite windshield?

Last edited by a moderator:
No - got just a standard one from National Parts Depot  npdlink.com.  If you are going to replace yours with a carlite there are only one or two places that carry them.  Also if you order one on line make sure you read the what vehicle types they fit.   NPD has carlite but it is only for coupes and verts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back