Headliner Install and Windshield

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingb1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code-4 Spd. Owned for the last 40 years.
So I am turning my attention to installing a headliner this Summer. Have read through a lot of posts and coming up with a plan ahead. The rear glass in the 73 Mach is out and from what I read it is Sooooo much easier if the front glass is out is out also. Perfect....as mine is old, cracked, scratched, and gouged by the wiper arms.

My original front glass in VERY cracked AND has gouges from the wiper arms. So I can budget the cost of this effort I was wondering if there is a good source for a new semi-correct windshield and the channel for the bottom edge of the glass? If you buy the glass, can you hire installers to do the work for installing both front and rear glass correctly?

The drivers side "articulating" wiper arm has so much play in it at the connection points that it has wore groves into the front glass. Don't want to ruin any new glass installed. Is there a way to "tighten" the arms pivot points?

Another forum member just posted his windshield install yesterday and gave all the details. The windshield is very easy to install since it is set in the bed of 3-M urethane. The rear is not bad as long as you get you a few simple tools. You should not use the foam tape in the rear window install either. 

The headliner is about the first thing you need to do if building a car. Your roof rails will also need to come off and you will need new seal there. Daniel Carpenter makes a great one. If you have rust under the rail or window channel you will need to address that also.

Jobs like this can snowball and grow. While all the trim is off you can polish to make look new. I just did ny Mach 1 last year you should be able to fine the thread in a search.

I would imagine any glass company can handle the rear window as well, it's very easy to put in actually. They also should be able to supply the "C" channel for the bottom edge of the glass. If not, measure what you have and get some from McMaster Carr.

Your glass is a replacement, with the Oct 75 date code. I personally would just have the installer supply the windshield, if they break it, it's their problem. If you have to have a Carlite replacement, I'd talk to OMS or NPD. I have a Pilkington unit in my car and am very happy with the quality.

BTW, that "W-800" code is very important as it's the glass association code for that specific part. The glass company does not differentiate as Ford did with sportsroof, coupe etc. IIRC, most will refer to the sportsroof as a coupe, which it technically is, but Mustang guys get all insulted when you do that.

Another forum member just posted his windshield install yesterday and gave all the details. The windshield is very easy to install since it is set in the bed of 3-M urethane. The rear is not bad as long as you get you a few simple tools. You should not use the foam tape in the rear window install either. 

The headliner is about the first thing you need to do if building a car. Your roof rails will also need to come off and you will need new seal there. Daniel Carpenter makes a great one. If you have rust under the rail or window channel you will need to address that also.

Jobs like this can snowball and grow. While all the trim is off you can polish to make look new. I just did ny Mach 1 last year you should be able to fine the thread in a search.
Just read through the windshield post. A job well done for sure. I will search about the rear glass and rail install posts so I can get everything on a list before I dive in.

Thanks for mentioning the roof rails. Had not considered to remove those also. Headliner has been out for years. I just cut around some of the trim.

Back